Poor performance on Desktop

jjbpenguin

I bought this desktop from buy.com and threw in a new power supply and video card thinking it would keep up to date on games for awhile while keeping me sub $500 buget. Problem is I am not getting frame rates I was hoping for, even whe dropping quality down. I am playing Fallout3 on medium settings and can get 40 or so inside, and average 20's outside, but what was really odd was playing Team Fortress 2, i was hitting the teens on somewhat busy maps, and just to test, dropped the resolution and all video settings down and still barely hit 30's durring a fight. I realize my processor isn't the most impressive, but is there a way to tell for sure what my problem is?

Specs in the sig.

Thanks in advance.

mx344

What Graphics card did you get?

EDIT: well what they guys said above me...Although, anything should be better than onboard 6150SE graphics

Number1SuperGuy

Looks like it should be fine to me. Did you install the drivers for the new 9800gt? Maybe your computer is still trying to use the on board 6150?

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
make sure on board is disabled, check to be sure your drivers are up to date.

Also, go to run/msconfig to check for unwanted "junk" on startup.

mx344

O yaa, i would make sure that the onboard isn't still running, cause you will notice a HUGE difference from crappy onboard graphics to a 9800GT...

BlackRat

Your CPU is the weakest link, all the rest is fine.
I have used Phenom 8450 and it was good just for medium settings in most games, only to keep above 30FPS

jjbpenguin

thanks, i will probably hold out since most games are still playable and get a new CPU in a year or so, maybe sooner if something like starcraft 2 comes out and needs it.