port forwarding my server

jesse kraus

hello people,

lately i have started setting up a minecraft server again for fun and to see how it would go compared to a few years ago. the setup was really easy and i could also join my own server (with ip:port and not localhost). then i wanted to go a step further, making it accesible for other people from other networks. this it where it went wrong, now and a few years ago. i typed the 192.168.178.x.x thingy in my browser and logged in with the information i got from my internet provider. i followed the steps explained by several forums on how to forward my ports, and i thought it went succesfully. i entered 25565 as the port everywhere, selected tcp and udp and done. then i realized my firewall was also blocking the incoming connections, so i also opened the ports in the firewall. then i went to some websites that tested if my ports were really open, and what turned out? my ports weren't open! this is exactly where i got stuck a few years ago, and i thought about the problem for hours back then (forums didnt come up in me since i was only 12 and did not realize i could ask something). its not a problem with the firewall, since it also didnt work after fully disabling the firewall.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
It's not the firewall you need to forward the ports in (well, ya do, but you can just turn the firewall off too) but in the router. You need to forward port 25565 to the IP address of the computer running the Minecraft server so that it is accessible over the WAN (outside your network).

jesse kraus

yes i already forwarded it in the router. thats what i did first. then i realized my firewall might be causing trouble too since that was the problem a few years ago

beers

Staff member
I'd verify that the service is listening to that port on the server, you can check by another external host on the internet with a port checker. If it comes back as 'connection refused' instead of 'connection timed out' then the firewall is permitting it, but it might not be active/listening on the right address.

Usually you can do something like netstat -an | findstr 25565 in command prompt assuming it's a Windows box. You can substitute findstr for grep on Linux. You can also try direct connecting via the LAN IP from another computer on your network, if that works then the binding is okay and you'd just be looking at a port forwarding/firewall issue as you outlined. I'd verify the service port side first, however.

Last edited: