port question

ilovefishsticks

If i wanted to have say multiple web servers up at once on port 80 on 2 (or im just curious, 3) different computers, could i do this. I have a feeling no, because arent the ports on the router? But then i thought mabe you can because on XP sp2 on the firewall you need to free the ports manualy and (as far as i know, because i only have one PC with sp2) the other computer wouldnt have the same port settings as the other? Can you have 2 computers on one port, running a server?:confused:

tripleplay905

No, you must run each webserver on a separet port. Are you going to access the web servers from out side your network. If so u need to open the ports on ur router and forword the ports to each pc that the port is being used on. That is if you are using a router. In windows Firewall just open the port on the pc that the computer is using for its webserver.

ilovefishsticks

ok, but now how do i get a .com adress using another port besides 80. When i typed my ip in on no-ip.com it automaticaly goes to port 80, so how would i get another port directed to the web site domain

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
web requests are automatically directed through to port 80, if you want to change the conection port to a server, then ou have to use a semi colon : say an ip or 555.555.55.555 then to port 96 or somehthign would be 555.555.55.555:92, i think a good way round this would be to havea "portal" page on port 80 server which you could then choose where to go from there, using internal links, that would be quite good.