Portable Computer

Xander95

I got a doozy for ya. I am planning a computer build inside a lockbox about the size of a Mid sized tower and I have a fair idea of how I plan to do it but I need advice on what parts I should look for. For instance. Should I go with a laptop motherboard or a desktop motherboard? Also, what should I take into account when I do this? I have seen some awesome builds in the past and I wanna build something ya don't see every day.

Laquer Head

When you say 'lockbox' what do you mean exactly? Is this a type of secure enclosure for the PC to go in? Is it vented?

Xander95

When you say 'lockbox' what do you mean exactly? Is this a type of secure enclosure for the PC to go in? Is it vented?
I plan on modding the box so it can have venting. It's the kind of lockbox ya put documents in. If I had a pic I would show ya.

Laquer Head

If you find one, post it.

So how do you plan on attaching a motherboard with standoffs..etc? or is this 'lockbox' big enough to house a PC case inside?

Xander95

This box is indeed big enough to hold a computer. I plan on using either a micro atx or mini itx motherboard. And I will be getting a buddy of mine to build a frame for it so I have some something to bold the parts on. I will need a dremel tool with a sanding bit and a drill to drill starter holes for the outputs.

Xander95

2arapx.png

Laquer Head

You should find an old beater case and dremel cut out the motherboard tray so you have a platform to build off

beers

Staff member
What kind of performance do you need? What are your plans for power?

You can get some used laptop boards for cheap, depends on your goals. The AM1 platform was pretty inexpensive and also doesn't use much power (idle ~20w).

Xander95

What kind of performance do you need? What are your plans for power?

You can get some used laptop boards for cheap, depends on your goals. The AM1 platform was pretty inexpensive and also doesn't use much power (idle ~20w).
I plan on building a decent gaming computer. I plan on using a mini atx desktop motherboard. It would fit in the case and even have enough room for power supply, hard drive and graphics card. Not to mention a couple fans.