Portal 2

kobaj

VIP Member
im gonna get it on pc, my friend was like dude get it on ps3 so we can co-op im like dude... u suck,

Ps3 version of Portal 2 comes with a PC version free (you have to link your ps3 to your steam account though).

Regardless, the game is cross platform anyway. Ps3 can co-op with PC.

And finally, /spoilers/ about cake for Manakore.

The team at valve working on Portal were actually taken aback by how disgustingly large all the cake jokes were getting for Portal 1. And as such, limited it severely in Portal 2. Read: No cake. The game is better this way though.

Last edited:

Twist86

I thought about buying it but I heard people are beating it in 3-5 hours. To me to pay $60 I demand a game that will keep me busy for at least 30 hours. Have no doubt I will buy it but not till its $15-$20. The only way id change my mind is if they added more content/time.

kobaj

VIP Member
I thought about buying it but I heard people are beating it in 3-5 hours. To me to pay $60 I demand a game that will keep me busy for at least 30 hours. Have no doubt I will buy it but not till its $15-$20. The only way id change my mind is if they added more content/time.

Basing a game purely on time is stupid. It takes 30+ hours to beat Final Fantasy IVXQ(whatever number they're on) but Half life 2 which takes 8 hours is a /FAR/ superior game. What I'm saying is, buy a game based on its content. Specifically buy games that mean something to you (vote with your wallet sort of feel).

Besides, its a good 10 hours total counting single player and coop. Plus its only 50$. And you get portal 1 if you pre-ordered it on steam. AND you get portal 2 for PC if you buy it on Ps3. Seriously, worth it.:D

teamhex

portal2 is a very beautiful game!!!

Its defiantly nicer looking then the first.
With everything at full blast and 5760x1080 its insane to play.
The part I really liked was when the lights go out and the robot is following you with his light. The shadows looked really good.

Twist86

Basing a game purely on time is stupid. It takes 30+ hours to beat Final Fantasy IVXQ(whatever number they're on) but Half life 2 which takes 8 hours is a /FAR/ superior game. What I'm saying is, buy a game based on its content. Specifically buy games that mean something to you (vote with your wallet sort of feel).

Besides, its a good 10 hours total counting single player and coop. Plus its only 50$. And you get portal 1 if you pre-ordered it on steam. AND you get portal 2 for PC if you buy it on Ps3. Seriously, worth it.:D

Time is a very important feature for any game, if you beat it in 2 hours the game will provide a few replays then its boring. FF7 for example had 100+ hours of gameplay and replayability and content. Compare that to portal is there really a comparison? I only payed $35 on release for FF7 and I got so much more for my money. Portal 2 is a $20 game to me.

Aastii

VIP Member
Time is a very important feature for any game, if you beat it in 2 hours the game will provide a few replays then its boring. FF7 for example had 100+ hours of gameplay and replayability and content. Compare that to portal is there really a comparison? I only payed $35 on release for FF7 and I got so much more for my money. Portal 2 is a $20 game to me.

I paid £30 for it, which is the most I have ever paid for a game. The most I paid before that was £22 for CoD4. I have 900+ hours on CoD4, I have just a few on Portal 2, however I do not regret my decision to buy it because it is such an outstanding game.

I would pay £30 for a collector's edition of a film if it was an exceptional film, and to me this is the same. Both only give a few hours of fun, but during that time it is mind blowing just how good it is

Aastii

VIP Member
I've just finished it and it is absolutely an outstanding game, but I'm a little sad by the end of it (Not the very end with Wheatley, but the last bit as you).

Spoilers in white, so don't quote please:

I didn't want to get out to the surface, I wanted Aperture Science to remain its own little world. I didn't want GLaDOS to become my "friend". I know they had to keep some sort of story progression, but I would rather it have stayed how it was in Portal 1. It is bitter sweet :(

PohTayToez

Anyone going to be picking this up for 360? I definitely will, not sure when, but I'll need someone to co-op with.

Also, anyone that is interested in the PC version might as well go buy the PS3 version, because it come with a code to download the PC version from Steam for free.

kobaj

VIP Member
Anyone going to be picking this up for 360? I definitely will, not sure when, but I'll need someone to co-op with.

Also, anyone that is interested in the PC version might as well go buy the PS3 version, because it come with a code to download the PC version from Steam for free.

Not true. You have to link your PS3 to your steam account, and THEN you can download the PC version. So if you don't have a PS3 and get a PS3 version expecting to use it for the PC version. You're boned.

Twist86

Well what they need to do is make a map editor for portal series. Imagine how beneficial it would be if all those crazy modders could make custom maps. Then sit back and imagine how hard those maps would be vs what portal devs gave us. Sure some maps would be crappy but I seen the modding community on many games trump the original creators work. Morrowind is a perfect example of a modding community turning a good game into a great/memorable game.

Aastii

VIP Member
Well what they need to do is make a map editor for portal series. Imagine how beneficial it would be if all those crazy modders could make custom maps. Then sit back and imagine how hard those maps would be vs what portal devs gave us. Sure some maps would be crappy but I seen the modding community on many games trump the original creators work. Morrowind is a perfect example of a modding community turning a good game into a great/memorable game.

I don't think it needs it to be honest. The 5 hours mentioned earlier doesn't include multiplayer which is pretty damn large again. What there are now, a lot of them are already bloody difficult. There have been some maps I've been on for half an hour + before working out what to do. I agree mods improve some games, but in this case, I think it is a matter of if it aint broke, don't fix it. If they put the ability for map mods in, I personally wouldn't use it

mihir

VIP Member
How are the graphics and detailing maxed out.
And is your GTX 260 able to run it without a sweat.

Aastii

VIP Member
How are the graphics and detailing maxed out.
And is your GTX 260 able to run it without a sweat.

Yep, no problem at all. Everything full settings constant 60+ FPS, even when folding in the background.

You have to remember it is still on the source engine, granted heavily modified, but it is still the source engine which is now very old and is optomised very, very well so doesn't need a whole lot to run, even though it is still beautiful graphically and gives some of the most realistic physics of any engine around.