Positional loss of power

whitebaps

I've built myself a computer and it was working fine for a few weeks. Decided to move it to a different room and since then there's been an issue. I'm currently using it with no problems to write this message, but that's because it's on its side. If I attempt to rotate it through 90 degrees to stand up, the power will cut instantaneously. It then won't turn on until I lie it back down again.

I've tried using different power cables, taking out the power supply and hard drive and rotating them individually but they don't seem to be the cause. I've removed the graphics card, RAM, DVD drive and all other peripheral wires but it still did it. I've taken out the processor and reseated it, but still it happens. So I reckon it's something on the motherboard, but that's about all I can say.

My setup is below. Can anyone suggest a cause of power loss just because it's upright?

Setup:
  • Biostar TA890GXE 890GX Socket AM3 Onboard DVI VGA HDMI 8 Channel Audio mATX Motherboard
  • Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
  • Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333Mhz Ballistix Sport Memory Kit CL9 1.5V
  • Sapphire HD 5450 1GB DDR3 HDMI DVI VGA Out PCI-E Low Profile Graphics Card
  • Casecom MA-1199 Shiny Black MATX Tower Case
  • WD 1TB Caviar Green Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA-III - 64MB Cache - WD10EZRX
  • Antec EarthWatts 380W 80%+ Efficiency PSU - 80mm Fan 4x SATA PCI-E

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check all your cable connections to make sure they are all tight. Other than that, it sounds like you could be shorting the motherboard out to the case. Did you use the brass standoffs between the case and motherboard?

whitebaps

Connections are tight. I would agree with you that it sounds like something's shorting. Unless the brass standoffs were on the motherboard already, I do not remember using them... I'll use the computer at an angle for the time being (unless that will damage it?) and see if there's anything in the motherboard box later. Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you didn't install these first then yes, that is the problem.

K62HgEsFN0KvzDuhtNO7eFVljtvSlt_fq02OSxJrstuVfO0vKpcoTD9tlECEdKHZTsHL1JRlete3l5LhEYbqpSm6-0XV82nxtjICP_5mj602uhkm-VUtaHYOProSj6kp1TMFgg8Tp5BkBdrF1QnIOIkvtSjgzRTmrm6A6SuIVr_23zLeKYgxZc05zmH35kLrNtOx2AQ