Possibility? Please Respond!

xMethod

Is it possible to put an old hard drive as well as old rom drives into a new case with a new motherboard, new processor, new ram, without having to setup bios config? Please respond

j0hn00

No... when you build a system, you're going to have to go into BIOS and make some changes. Usually, there's an option to "Load Optimal Settings"... which helps, but it's still prudent to run through your BIOS and make sure everything is copacetic.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Actually, some do allow this... Many today have automatic settings which slow POST down just a bit, but will automatically detect any different settings to your computer's IDE channels. RAM usally goes without having to make changes... However, sometimes you must set up the auto settings, which is quite simple... Just a quick change in the bios

j0hn00

But won't you get an error with some kind of "Hit F1" message at first boot? And don't you have to change the date and time anyway in BIOS?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Nope for both... Well, you might have to change the time if the boards been sitting for a long time, but you could also do that in windows.

bluto2

banned
Yes Yes Yes

xMethod said:
Is it possible to put an old hard drive as well as old rom drives into a new case with a new motherboard, new processor, new ram, without having to setup bios config? Please respond

What do you mean no ? I upgraded everything but my drives,put them in the new case,ignored the bios and watched for them to be detected,they where.
You are going about this the right way,if you have more than 4 drives i'll add more.I had 5.
By the way Windows started up,no need to install it.
:eek:

bluto2

banned
Thats the point

Camper said:
How old is the HD and the ROMS?

It doesn't matter if you use the right ide cables.
Forget about the bios being involved,too many are obsessed with this.
Both of these "DON'T NEED DRIVERS" from somewhere.
Windows has them.Trust me.
:)

j0hn00

Yes, but we're talking about a newly built system, regardless of whether the hard and optical drives are new or used. I know at the least, I had to change the FSB setting for my old XP 2100+ to get the correct processor reading.

NeuromancerWGDD'U

I had to change the FSB settings in the BIOS for my processor to operate at the correct speed (Athlon XP 1600 my ass). Other than the possibility of having to set the correct FSB and possibly fiddle with a couple other settings, it should be fine. The hard-drives and ROM drives will be recognized by the OS, and they use generic drivers (usually) to begin with, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Ultimately, you might have to fiddle around with a couple settings in the BIOS, but the HDD(s) and ROM drives will be fine

bluto2

banned
OK i guess

I guess i was lucky then,but MY system was all new but the auto detected drives.They where auto detected. :)
Best i can do.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
No... when you build a system, you're going to have to go into BIOS and make some changes. Usually, there's an option to "Load Optimal Settings"... which helps, but it's still prudent to run through your BIOS and make sure everything is copacetic.
Unless its stupidly old (and physically wont fit), you can do it (without any reconfiguring)

But won't you get an error with some kind of "Hit F1" message at first boot
Not from a HDD

It doesn't matter if you use the right ide cables.
And what happens if they arent IDE drives?

j0hn00

But it's not just about a hard drive... essentially, it's a new system. I don't know about everyone else, but I've never had a newly built system boot up properly without having to dabble a bit in the BIOS.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
But it's not just about a hard drive... essentially, it's a new system. I don't know about everyone else, but I've never had a newly built system boot up properly without having to dabble a bit in the BIOS.
Well you can get it to start up ... whether it starts up in "failsafe mode" or not is a different story :)