Possible bad SSD, Any help is appreciated

wbt50

Hi,
I've had so many problems with my current SSD it's unreal. I have an OCZ Agility 3. This is my second in 7 months. The first one only lasted a month before having it replaced.

Just over 4 days ago, I woke up to a "Windows Has Encountered a Problem Communicating With A Device Connected : 0xc00000e9 " error. The computer had been running fine the night before. I booted to linux via a DVD and SSD is perfectly viewable and I was able to extract my data. After many restarts and changing sata ports/cables the message was exactly same, even after windows repair etc. When trying to perform a system restore from the windows disc, it reported there where no saved restore areas on the drive.

I've ran the SMART test (or what ever it is called) and here are the results
6n48.jpg

I have reinstalled windows, and it appeared to be running fine, but the second day it started freezing and crashing occasionally when I left the PC for around 15 minutes, the crashing was completely random, No Blue Screen, but after every crash. I would have to turn off the mains and reboot in order for the SSD to be detected in BIOS.

I have just reinstalled Windows again and have installed just the drivers and Windows update and I'll see how it goes.

Thanks for taking your time to read (I know it's a long read :p) and I'm really in need of help as I have just bought Rome 2 and desperate spend some hours on it.

spirit

Staff member
Do you have another hard drive you can install Windows onto just to be certain it's your SSD that's the problem?

It definitely sounds like a bad SSD. They do go wrong, my first Crucial m4 died.

wbt50

I do.

But so far since I've reinstalled windows for the second time. It's been fine so far.

I'm thinking it could be software related.

Is there anything I could test the SSD with to give me a sign if the SSD is indeed the problem ? Do you understand the SMART results ?

spirit

Staff member
Ring up OCZ and see what they suggest. When I had this problem with Crucial they told me to power the drive for an hour and it would reset itself. The OCZ drives might work in the same way.

But since you've been through two of these SSDs, it may be software related. What software did you have installed last time that you don't now?

spirit

Staff member
Run it for a few days and see if you get any more problems.

If it runs OK for a few days, gradually reinstall your other stuff and see if you start noticing problems again.