Possible build for photo editing

motorboatink1ng

I've only built a gaming computer before, and my friend wants help building a computer. He is not interested in gaming at all, just photos and photo editing. So I thought i would post what I'm thinking and see if anyone has better suggestions and let me know if anything is over or underkill, or over priced.

ASRock z87 Extreme4 - $144.99
i5-4570 - $199.99
GTX 650 Ti 2gb - $169.99
G.Skill Ripjaws X series 16gb DDR3 (2x8gb) - $139.99
Seagate Constellation 2tb 7200rpm - $189.99
Seagate 600 series 120gb SSD - $109.99
Lg Black Blu-ray - $39.99
Windows 8 64-bit - $99.99

Total $1,184.91

Thanks for taking a look.

xarik

The overall price seems a bit steep for all he wants to do...photoshop doesn't take THAT much...look at what the minimum is for photoshop and then add a bit more. Consider he's either spending a lot on photoshop, or he's not really using photoshop :p (or torrenting). That's a well built PC and would be very good all around for everything going on. I could see that computer working for video editing, photo editing, gaming and much more...If he's on a budget then consider dropping less on everything

Okedokey

You don't need the graphics card, spend the extra money on the CPU and RAM (get more) and what PSU are you looking at?

Okedokey

Last edited:

motorboatink1ng

I did forget to add PSU sorry. Depends I guess on the adjustments I make. So would integrated graphics be fine? Or should it be a light end GPU?

EvanK

Nonsense. Video editing can use a lot more than 16GB.

I recommend getting 24GB or similar because from experience it really helps. This is backed up by Adobe. And lets face it, RAM is cheap, and you'll save money by getting rid of the GPU that you don't need.

He never said anything about video editing, and for nothing more than Photoshop use, 16GB is plenty. I use my build primarily for PS (with some light video work), and I've never run into any problems with 16GB. As long as you have 64 bit software to go along with it, but even then my old version of PS is from CS2 and it works well enough.

That being said though, RAM is pretty cheap, so if you really want, go for 24GB and future proof yourself.

For graphics, if you're not doing any gaming, integrated is absolutely fine. Eventually you may want to throw in a card as PS for CS6 has some OpenCL accelerations, and if I'm not mistaken most video burning software benefits from having a high number of CUDA cores on a GPU (correct me if I'm wrong though), so you may want to invest in one if that's your interest. Otherwise, you're fine. I ran my rig sans-graphic card for about 4 months, and it zipped by in LR and PSE (I didn't try it with CS though, so take it with a grain of salt). I also didn't do any gaming whatsoever before I had my graphics card, but if that's not a concern to you.

For the record I'm using a GTX-650 Ti 2GB in my rig now, and outside of games the performance difference is negligible. The only reason you may want to invest in one early on is if you'll be running a multiple monitor setup. I wouldn't go for a low-end GPU though, you may find yourself wanting more in the future. And you might as well invest another $30-50 when the jump in performance between lower end cards is so massive.

motorboatink1ng

Ok thanks. I did forget to mention that he does want dual monitors, so I won't use integrated, I just have to find one that will suit. I guarantee he will never play anything other than solitaire or minesweeper, so I will probably step it down a little.

Okedokey

He never said anything about video editing, and for nothing more than Photoshop use, 16GB is plenty. I use my build primarily for PS (with some light video work), and I've never run into any problems with 16GB. As long as you have 64 bit software to go along with it, but even then my old version of PS is from CS2 and it works well enough.

That being said though, RAM is pretty cheap, so if you really want, go for 24GB and future proof yourself.

For graphics, if you're not doing any gaming, integrated is absolutely fine. Eventually you may want to throw in a card as PS for CS6 has some OpenCL accelerations, and if I'm not mistaken most video burning software benefits from having a high number of CUDA cores on a GPU (correct me if I'm wrong though), so you may want to invest in one if that's your interest. Otherwise, you're fine. I ran my rig sans-graphic card for about 4 months, and it zipped by in LR and PSE (I didn't try it with CS though, so take it with a grain of salt). I also didn't do any gaming whatsoever before I had my graphics card, but if that's not a concern to you.

For the record I'm using a GTX-650 Ti 2GB in my rig now, and outside of games the performance difference is negligible. The only reason you may want to invest in one early on is if you'll be running a multiple monitor setup. I wouldn't go for a low-end GPU though, you may find yourself wanting more in the future. And you might as well invest another $30-50 when the jump in performance between lower end cards is so massive.

How about you read the thread. I didn't say anything about video editing to the OP, the other guy did before me. Plus, i am quoting the exact Adobe Photoshop requirements for high end. I have used utlra hi res photos and images and it will use 16GB quite easily.

xarik

I strongly STRONGLY disagree with above comment of 24gb...it'll be a massive waste in my mind lol...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...STMATCH&Description=ddr3+24gb&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Ram isn't that much? really???? even if he buys 3 8GB's alone it'll still be like $180 which is RIDICULOUS! lol...Seriously just go with 16gb of high end 1600MHz RAM and he'll be fine...I literally see 0 advantage to 24 over 16 on PS

http://postimg.org/image/f13jgrckn/

Here's an image of my laptop that has 16gb of 1333MHz ram and I have PS, Audition, premier pro, sibelius, itunes, skype, google earth and chrome all open (plus running rainmeter which is heavy) ontop of w/e else running...all just at 5.8GB of ram used lol

There is no need for THAT much freaking ram...Here is an image of my laptop mid render in Premier pro (extremely intensive and I have it set to max ram usage)

http://postimg.org/image/8r89trd5z/

Same things are open but I am mid render of a video which was shot at 1080P full framed and I was rendering it in top quality...My temperatures were at like 90C and my processing was at 100%...ram got as high as 8.13GB during that....it's ridiculous to get 24GB unless you're SUPER DUPER PRO and have an endless budget....