Possible dead MB?

A few days before Christmas my power supply blew. The capacitors inside poped and so I needed to replace it. Finaly managed to replace it the other day and everything seemed fine however yesterday my pc crashed randomly when my daughter was using it and had trouble turning it back on. Randomly it started working again and then again today it shut off and I have not been able to get it going again. It doesn't post or anything the screen just stays black. Is there a way to test the motherboard at all? I do not have a spare cpu or any other parts to try.

I should also mention there are no beeps at all. I have managed to get it to turn on once and it goes into windows repair but then just shuts off again as if going to restart but not posting. Won't even display the manufacturer logo

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Disconnect all hardware and try booting. So just have mouse, keyboard, ram, cpu, video card if its a dedicated card. Disconnect hard drives, cd drives, usb drives. Does it boot normally after doing this? If so, then its one of those that are disconnected, thats causing the problem. When a power supply blows up, it can take a lot of hardware with it.

Thanks for that I will give that a try. For some reason last night my pc randomly started up and has been running ever since. I am unsure why. I have been monitoring temperatures to make sure nothing is over heating, i have scanned all my hard drives for errors. I am about to run intel's cpu health check utility to check that for errors as well. I did notice in performance monitor my CPU speed jumping around quite wildly. I know windows can change the clock speed depending on what you are doing but this seems rather extreem and even went over my maximum clock speed when my CPU is a standard i5 8600 not the unlocked model for overclocking. max base speed is 3.1ghz but ive seen it hit 4.1ghz on more than 1 occasion. not sure why its hapening

CPU passed every test on Intel's Proccessor Diagnostic Tool. Though under the load test temperatures did hit 100 Degrees so I think some new thermal paste might be in order but at least for now I know my CPU is in good condition

OmniDyne

I did notice in performance monitor my CPU speed jumping around quite wildly.

This is normal.

max base speed is 3.1ghz but ive seen it hit 4.1ghz

This is also normal. Intel states the 8600 is capable of 4.3GHz under the defined Max Turbo Frequency specification:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...5-8600-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-30-ghz.html

load test temperatures did hit 100 Degrees

That is very high.