Possible Motherboard Failure?

Draygonia

Hey all, new to the forums. Found you guys by doing a Google search, but the answer didn't quite apply to my situation! I was hoping the tech experts here can help me solve this!

My computer is about 3 years old now and I will say it has seen many hours, but recently I tried to get it running again. It would turn on fine at first, but then I began to have to reset it every once in a while to get it to "BEEP" and begin booting.

I tried to recover with my DVD from CyberPower, but it would freeze during the load (Green bar would stop).
I had thought the hard drive was going bad, so I reformatted it and checked it for errors, but nothing.
I traded out a different hard drive from a different manufacturer that I had purchased later on and still it did not load.
I re-seated all the components and for a couple boots, it would get past the load screen, but it would turn into a black (blank) screen and wouldn't load the setup.

I even get a green motherboard light and sometimes an orange light (solid). I had a problem with a motherboard failure with a laptop I had purchased from them before and I suspect this one is going again. Any ideas from the community? The specs for the computer are below (from purchase).

CPU: AMD Phenom(TM) X4 9600 Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
CD: 20X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
HDD: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
MOTHERBOARD: Asus M2N SLI NVIDIA nForce 560 SLI MCP Chipset DDR2/800 SATA RAID PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN,IEEE1394,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows Vista(TM) Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1
POWERSUPPLY: 635 Watts Power Supplies Sigma Shark SP-635W PSU - SLI Ready)
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 1GB 16X PCI Express [+78] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Draygonia

Hello all, I tried a barebones start with 1 stick of ram.. I had a feeling it may have been the RAM because it only detected 1 GB of memory. I removed the faulty stick and moved the RAM to the slot closest the processor and it worked! Booted up just fine.

Moral of the story? I hate computers! Thanks to the community anyways for the vast resource of knowledge (search function). Hopefully someone googles this and tries it out!

Thank you Computer Forum!