possible to upgrade a laptop?

djjimmy2k2

ive done a search and i cant really find any decent answers to this question. is it possible to actually upgrade parts of a laptop (e.g. graphics card, hd, RAM etc)?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You can but for a laptop that supports those features you'll be forking out $4-$11K

djjimmy2k2

its possible to upgrade RAM though, insert sticks with higher amounts of RAM. how about hard drives, i know you can get external ones and thats what i plan on doing but can you upgrade the internal ones on normal, non-£4k laptops? and what about graphics cards, can you change them?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
its possible to upgrade RAM though, insert sticks with higher amounts of RAM
Yeah but two comments:
1. Often you'll be limited to hell as to module capacity (thats why you dont see many lappy's sporting 2, 3 or 4GB of memory)

2. That's not so much a "serious" upgrade as changing the HDD or video subsystem ... HDDs you can probably pull off on any laptop (although it'll be a pain), the video unit, forget about it. If you have a system that supports actual video cards -- you'll know it :p (and wont need upgrading for a hell of a long time)

djjimmy2k2

Praetor said:
the video unit, forget about it. If you have a system that supports actual video cards -- you'll know it :p (and wont need upgrading for a hell of a long time)

erm... what exactly do you mean? sorry but i only got 3 hours sleep last night so my brains all messed up

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
erm... what exactly do you mean? sorry but I only got 3 hours sleep last night so my brains all messed up
You're talking to a guy who gets 3hrs a week :p What i meant was, if you have a notebook that supports swapping video cards then (a) you have a notebook that HAS a video card, (b) you paid $4K+ for it and (c) odds are that video card is a decent one and wont need replacing for some time

djjimmy2k2

3hrs a week i couldnt stand, im knackered after only 3 hours in a night, but thanks for clearing it up, i get what you mean now. so other than RAM laptops cant be upgraded, fair enough, but im still gonna get one for uni. i dont need a new desktop right now, although it is crap itll do. a new laptop will do right now :D

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
3hrs is a lot of luxury when you got 8 assignments due, from 7 courses, in the next 4 days... sleep becomes optional :p (as does eating, air, light :p). Glad i could clear some things up for you though :)