Possible to upgrade? what CPU/MB/RAM to get?!

lowki

Hey there guys/gals i'm deciding on getting a new CPU/motherboard and maybe ram, I would like to hear both opinions for AMD or Intel if you have one please?! My gpu is bottleneck but its hard to past up the price 135- 150$ My bf knows someone who is willing to sell one for that much. I wanted to upgrade it to be able to play games well with my gpu please :)

My current specs are
Motherboard: ASrock H61M/U3S3 (Buy new?)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz (Buy new?)
Memory: G skill 2(4gb) 8192MB RAM DDR3 pc3-10700 ram (Need to upgrade maybe?)
Power supply : Corsair 750 WATTS
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 EVO
Storage: Western Digital 1.5TB
Case: cooler master HAF 912 mid tower

GPU : ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 3GB (For now my 4 year old HIS 7750)

If possible maybe range prices of 100-200-300$? I was highly considering maybe just get a new motherboard that would upgrade to 16gbs or more? Since i already have (2) 4gb i have a g skill pc3-10700 ram 8gb total. Would love to hear your suggestions! Thanks for reading guys :)

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
Let me confirm what you're asking...

You have a GTX 1060 but want a new mobo/ram/cpu trio for under $300?

lowki

Yep that right well maybe the mobo and cpu. i'm not fully aware of what the newest cpu and such for amd and intel. Whichever ones a good reasonable price. My pc its sort of a budget build which i spent like 4 years on lol. Would love to know what the best cpu each for 100-150-175$ and type of motherboard for the same prices. I won't buy it yet but its good to be inform so i could keep track of in case i do want to upgrade in the future.

I have lots of regrets with my previous build.. wish i went i5 or so.. So i don't have to be in this mess.

Laquer Head

I would suggest you save first, thing about what you want, then buy when you have the appropriate funds.

Your current budget is too low to attain everything, and you're gonna end up throwing good money away if you skimp and pinch here and there

Darren

Staff member
Here is a list of supported CPU's by your current motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H61M/?cat=CPU

You can go up to a 3770K which is still a pretty fast chip. Look around and see if you can score a used i5 (3570 preferably) or an i7 even if you can afford it. Buying a whole new platform with a small budget is just setting yourself up for disappoint when you need to upgrade again in the near future. Hell even with the budget indicated you would be doing a marginal upgrade over the i3 you already have.

8GB is also still enough RAM these days but you can always get more for cheap if you feel the need.

Cisco001

You can consider if you just get a used i7 2xxx or i7 3xxx from eBay.

Also SSD could be considered.

Don't bother new CPU mobo ram for $300