Possible to Upgrade?

South1011

Currently I have a 5 year old Compaq running a slow 700mhz processor. Over the years I have pretty much replaced everything but the motherboard, and processor. What I was wondering was, is it possible to drop in a new motherboard, processor and ram into this case? I like the looks of the case and the current setup I have, so I really would like to keep it if possible. ( plus I am a college student and every pennie I can save helps :) So is it possible to just drop in a new board or do they setup their cases to keep you from doing that? :confused:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Well

Speaking from personal experience of owning a Compaq Presario Tower...is that the power switches for example do not come in the standard style. Thereofre the wires coming out do not correspond with the newest motherborads at all. I tried wiring it for the same reason as you and could not get it to boot. Damn! Well i guess I was doing it wrong. However, the rest of the stuff is doable mate.

JAN :D

Bobo

banned
South1011 said:
Currently I have a 5 year old Compaq running a slow 700mhz processor. Over the years I have pretty much replaced everything but the motherboard, and processor. What I was wondering was, is it possible to drop in a new motherboard, processor and ram into this case? I like the looks of the case and the current setup I have, so I really would like to keep it if possible. ( plus I am a college student and every pennie I can save helps :) So is it possible to just drop in a new board or do they setup their cases to keep you from doing that? :confused:

The case might be AT, and if so, you won't find a new mobo with AT form factor.

But if it is ATX, then yes

You might as well just buy a new mobo and see if it fits, if it doesn't, there won't be one that does. Then, if it doesn't fit, but a new case/psu

Echo_

Bobo said:
Yeah, OK

South1011:

Do whichever you want to do, listen to me, or listen to echo echo echo

imo its a ton easier to work with a clean case

in my old dell its a pain to mess with stuff because they put these gay metal bars to hold crap down its retarded.

like its almost impossible to accces the ram unless you have a screwdriver to remove this plate.

on the otherhand you buy a case for 50 bucks its all nice and clean and your for sure its goin to fit your mobo

Bobo

banned
Echo_ said:
imo its a ton easier to work with a clean case

in my old dell its a pain to mess with stuff because they put these gay metal bars to hold crap down its retarded.

like its almost impossible to accces the ram unless you have a screwdriver to remove this plate.

on the otherhand you buy a case for 50 bucks its all nice and clean and your for sure its goin to fit your mobo

Yeah, but college=small budget. If he doesn't need a case, he aint gonna get one if he can help it.

Echo_

Bobo said:
Yeah, but college=small budget. If he doesn't need a case, he aint gonna get one if he can help it.

w/e
but id like to bet 5 bucks hes gona have to get a new case :p

SFR

Truth fears no questions

I would take the less expensive route and wait on the new case until you are absolutely sure your current case will not work.

Bobo said:
Gambling is not good

Who said gambling is not good? Excessive gambling and losingis the thing you have to watch out for... ;)

Bobo

banned
SFR said:

I would take the less expensive route and wait on the new case until you are absolutely sure your current case will not work.

Exactly what I keep saying and exactly what echo keeps not listening to,,, :p

SFR said:
Who said gambling is not good? Excessive gambling and losing is the thing you have to watch out for... ;)

Well yeah, that's what I meant

Echo_

because its an old oem case. even my dads dell which he bought 6 years ago is a diff form factor than atx...
this one is even older so im willling to bet its not atx

Bobo

banned
Echo_ said:
because its an old oem case. even my dads dell which he bought 6 years ago is a diff form factor than atx...
this one is even older so im willling to bet its not atx

That is what I had said b4

Bobo said:
The case might be AT, and if so, you won't find a new mobo with AT form factor.

But if it is ATX, then yes

Why do I have to keep saying this?

buy the mobo. If it fits, great. If it doesn't fit, buy a case

Echo_

i am just saying it is most likely not same form factor jeeze get off my back thats all i said and might as well order the case with it
that is my opinon and you keep responding to it.
i should be asking myself why i keep repeating myself.

Bobo

banned
Echo_ said:
i am just saying it is most likely not same form factor jeeze get off my back thats all i said and might as well order the case with it
that is my opinon and you keep responding to it.
i should be asking myself why i keep repeating myself.

I know...I just like arguing

You repeat yourself because you are an echoechoechoecho

Yeti

VIP Member
I don't mean to take sides or piss anyone off, but the case is likely ATX. The PIII 700 is around the time of the 810&815 chipsets, most of which were ATX I think (I could be wrong though). This is assuming its an Intel, I don't know much about the AMDs