Possible virus...

OK me let me start off by saying that I am trying to do everything I can to avoid a fresh install of Windows 8.1, mostly because I lot my disk :-( I think it got lot when I moved a couple months ago.

I know I can get an ISO from Microsoft, but I can't get to any sites to download anything. Ill explain that. I can get to websites sometimes, but the only thing I was able to DL was AdwCleaner and even that too FOREVER to get the PC to let me get to a page that would let me DL it (I cant get to THIS website even.)

I had Chrome (tried to delete and reinstall and now I can't reinstall) and Firefox, and even tried the infamous IE. I am wary of deleting Firefox because then I have nothing but IE to get online if I cant reinstall it.

Basically 90% of websites I try to go to (and all but the 100th time of trying to get AdwCleaner) I get timed out. It is not my Internet because I have tried it with my phone and another device. The other device I am not able to DL anything to so I can't DL that way to put on the PC.

EVENTUALLY I am looking to maybe wipe everything and start fresh and I MIGHT even do it if I can figure out a way to get the image on a flash drive that I trust. If I do I want to make an image of the drive once I install all my normal programs. Then if this happens I can just reimage the drive.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What about a system restore back to a day when it was working fine? Doubt this is a malware infection.

Agent Smith

Download Herdprotect portable and give that a go now. It uses 68 anti-virus engines. Also, check out Rollback Rx Home edition. It will make periodic back ups and on boot you press the Home key and use the arrow keys to chose a backup point. Note that if you use Truecrypt or Veracrypt you will mess up the bootloader. Just to let others know. If you have a SSD, be sure to turn of defragging in the Roll Back Rx software.