* Post Your Case Mods *

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Title says it all. Post a pic of any modifications you've done to your case or your computer in general.

I'll start with my dad's comp:

Original Thermaltake Matrix side panel:
Picture005-1.jpg

Drawing the shape of the side window:
Picture006.jpg

Cutting of the window:
Picture007.jpg

Window after "U Channel":
Picture008-2.jpg

Finished Panel:
Picture009.jpg

Project Done :)
Picture011.jpg

Vizy

Rad...I want to cut out a side panel on my case. Its very sturdy and stuff, its a CM690. How would i cut the windows? What tools and stuff? Thnx alot dude!:D

myPCrocks

Use a Dremel with one of the quick detach cut off wheels. When I fabbed my ammocan I went thru about 8 of them, the material was rather thick.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The only thing I've done is conceal my drives.

n734801348_619008_982.jpg

n734801348_902059_8331.jpg

I also changed the stock fan on my heatsink to a blue LED.

n734801348_619007_698.jpg

n734801348_736135_2455.jpg

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Nice guys! :)

Rad...I want to cut out a side panel on my case. Its very sturdy and stuff, its a CM690. How would i cut the windows? What tools and stuff? Thnx alot dude!:D

Well to make the cut of the shape you want, first I used one of those cordell hand drills and drilled a whole. Then I used a jigsaw from that starting hole to cut the whole shape. Then use "U-Channel" or "Door Edge Molding" which is the black stuff that goes around the jagged edge of the panel to make it look better and protect you from cuts and the acrylic. The window itself is a sheet of cast acrylic or "plexi".

:D

aSc1@3

hey voyagerfan99, do u have to maually eject the drives if they are concealed? Like go to My Computer, right-click, Eject? Also, to conceal them, don't you just move the drive back a bit on the inside and secure a filler panel to the front of the drive tray?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
hey voyagerfan99, do u have to maually eject the drives if they are concealed? Like go to My Computer, right-click, Eject? Also, to conceal them, don't you just move the drive back a bit on the inside and secure a filler panel to the front of the drive tray?

To eject, I use a program called "CD-Tray-Pal" that runs on low priority in the system tray. I then assign a macro (Ctrl + [drive letter]) and it ejects and closes. Although, when I'm in Linux or anything else, I have to pry the bottom edge up and press the button with a pencil. I think I'm going to put a small bit of material in the corner so I can just press the corner and it'll eject.

To conceal them, I removed the front face plate (only on the bottom one though - couldn't get the LG faceplate off). I then took the bay cover that came with the case and filed the clips off the side so it was flat. I didn't have any two sided tape, so I just used some adhesive weather stripping. Using Super Glue, I glued the stripping to the bay cover. I then pressed the sticky side of the stripping onto the drive tray. That allows me to take it off and not leave any residue on the drive itself.

SIMP

ramodkk, nice job on the window! Looks very professional.

BTW, what kind of temps are you getting at 2.7 Ghz? Also, what program are you monitoring those temps with? Thanks!

cohen

i like one where the CD drives come out with the fronts... that is really cool... i'm going to buy a better box eventually but i like my current one.....

It's boring but i like it. :D:)

Ramodkk

VIP Member
ramodkk, nice job on the window! Looks very professional.

BTW, what kind of temps are you getting at 2.7 Ghz? Also, what program are you monitoring those temps with? Thanks!

Thanks man! :)

At 2.7GHz, with the AC Freezer 7 Pro, I'm idling at ~27C using "CoreTemp"

Last edited:

Ramodkk

VIP Member
^ That looks sweet man, as always. And I just noticed that you installed the buttons and lights on the fan contro bay on the original cover that comes with the case right?? If so, it looks really professional man! :)

voyagerfan99

Staff member
That NZXT is sexy!

How can you NOT have a touch screen there?
I'm obsessed with touch screen. Thats why I have a (jailbroken) iPod Touch! :D

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
^ That looks sweet man, as always. And I just noticed that you installed the buttons and lights on the fan contro bay on the original cover that comes with the case right?? If so, it looks really professional man! :)

Thanks!

Yeah, I'll probably do the same thing to the new case i have now. I just measured and drilled the hole for the switches. But if you intend to wire up various fans/components. You better know what your doing :p

That NZXT is sexy!

How can you NOT have a touch screen there?
I'm obsessed with touch screen. Thats why I have a (jailbroken) iPod Touch!

Because i found that screen covered in dust, and it was a free experiment :D