Potential Graphics Card Issue

Hovie

I've had an issue with my computer for about a year now where my monitors will go black and my computer will be completely unresponsive (I'll just refer to this as a black screen). It'll say my monitors are going to sleep, the sound will cut out and nothing will turn back on. I'm getting tired of waiting for graphics cards to become somewhat available online. So I'm trying the next best thing, a forum. I've tested many parts of my computer, and I believe I've narrowed it down to my graphics card.

My problem occurs and random times. There really isn't a time my computer won't decide to have a black screen. Whether the computer is just idle with nothing running, but a few background programs or I'm playing graphically intense games, I still get black screens. Sometimes I'll go a week without a black screen. Sometimes it'll happen 5 times or more a day. It does appear that playing graphically intense games may increase the frequency of the black screens, but I'm not entirely sure.

I have tried multiple things to narrow down what might be causing the issue. All of which have had no effect.

I have:
  1. Bought a second monitor (both of them go black at the same time)
  2. Bought new video cables/HDMI cables
  3. Bought a new cable for my power supply
  4. I've replaced my RAM
  5. I've replaced my Power Supply
  6. I've replaced my MOBO
  7. I've tried updating my graphics driver
  8. I've tried win + ctrl + shift + b
  9. I've tried changing BIOS settings/ Afterburner
  10. I've tried deleting everything and reverting my computer to factory settings
  11. I've tried changing my Power Settings to high performance.
  12. I've tried moving my graphics card to a different slot on my MOBO
  13. I've moved my computer to different outlets within my house and different houses
There might be a few things missing, but that should most of it.

Here are my specs:
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4960X CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
  • RAM 32 GB
  • Gigabyte 2060 6GB GDDR6
  • 1TB Hard Drive, 512 GB SSD
  • ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
  • XFX PRO 850W Black Edition
Let me know if there are any other possible solutions to my problem. I appreciate any help I can get.

beers

Staff member
Have you ever freshly installed the OS? Might be able to try that to rule out any sort of software/OS dependency issue or malware. Sounds like you've pretty exhaustively pursued the rest of the troubleshooting chain though.

Edit: Derp that was step 10. Not really too much left other than just swapping out the card or submitting an RMA, but also unsure on the turnaround time for those given the stock levels of cards everywhere.

StrangleHold

Staff member
^^^ above. It could be some freak file that would take forever to track down. Back up and do a clean install. But 1 thing, how long has it been since you have checked your temps.