power consumption?

any idea what an idle computer would consume in power?
the only program running on it would be utorrent and it would need to access only one HDD i have.

my power supply is 650 watts.

Vipernitrox

Why in this part of the forum?

To answer your question. We need much more info. What hardware are we talking about?

Okedokey

An idle computer of any spec would consume around 150W from experience. However pleaser post full system specs to give us even a basic clue as to what you are running. We're not mind readers ;)

wolfeking

banned
Idle usage from what I am seeing is:
RAM: 4 watts per DIMM. 24 watts total.
GPU: 159.4 Watts idle.
CPU: 98-120 Watts idle depending on vcore.
HDD: 10 watts or less each.

your chipset will also consume some power, but I don't see much info on how much. oing from the numbers above though would come out to 313 watts I think. But it seems a bit high to me.

Geoff

VIP Member
The wattage of the power supply doesn't matter for idle consumption, as that is only the peak power it's rated at. Get a kill-a-watt meter, it works great for determining how much power things draw!

Okedokey

The wattage of the power supply doesn't matter for idle consumption, as that is only the peak power it's rated at. Get a kill-a-watt meter, it works great for determining how much power things draw!

I know that mate, but if hes referring to a computer that has a 650W PSU and his sig has a PSU of 750W any logical person would conclude that hes referring to a different computer in regards to his question.

Secondly, as I said, unless you want a very accurate result, you are looking at around 150W idle.