Power Recommendations by Video Card

popeye

will this PSU work with a 8800gt

I see that the 8800gt requires 12v @ 26A. Someone recommended the Corsair CMPSU-520HX power supply to me, but it has 3 12V rails @ 18A each. Will this PSU work with the 8800GT.

I'm an extreme noob so please be kind...

Thanks.

Kesava

yes it will.

basically you usually double the Amps.

so if the psu has 12v @ 18A. then it ends up equaling 36 amps. so thats 10 more then the 8800 GT needs. sorry i cant explain it better. but it will work.

popeye

yes it will.

basically you usually double the Amps.

so if the psu has 12v @ 18A. then it ends up equaling 36 amps. so thats 10 more then the 8800 GT needs. sorry i cant explain it better. but it will work.

That's all that I need to know. Thanks!

StrangleHold

Staff member
I see that the 8800gt requires 12v @ 26A. Someone recommended the Corsair CMPSU-520HX power supply to me, but it has 3 12V rails @ 18A each. Will this PSU work with the 8800GT.

I'm an extreme noob so please be kind...

Thanks.

To get a close amount of amps. Take the total of watts on the 12V rails (not the P/S total watts but just the 12V rails) and divide it by 12.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ah, lol, Ok sure :)

Oh, also, my PSU says it's SLI ready... I think it puts out 40A... that'd only be able to run a few of the 7 series' SLI?

Archangel

VIP Member
nice.. didnt know the 3870 were that low on power usage... =o might go for Ati after all on my next grafic's card :)

aquajake91

OK, I am a total noob to this kind of stuff, so I need some help. Will this power supply work with the XFX GeForce 8600GT video card that I am getting? My power supply is not the same exact one, but it is very similar, as far as the input/output, etc. Thanks!

ceewi1

VIP Member
Ah, lol, Ok sure :)

Oh, also, my PSU says it's SLI ready... I think it puts out 40A... that'd only be able to run a few of the 7 series' SLI?
Most 7 series or lower end 8 series SLI wouldn't be a problem. I'd say a pair of 8800GTSs is a pushing it a bit for long term use, though.

nice.. didnt know the 3870 were that low on power usage... =o might go for Ati after all on my next grafic's card :)
Yeah - this is another useful link - http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd3870-hd3850_13.html#sect0 - power consumption for just the video card.

I've said the same thing, that 3870X2 looks tempting...

ceewi1 what do you think it requires for Crossfire of 3870X2's?

Thanks
There's not much info available yet, but if I had to guess I'd say you'd be looking at numbers similar to the 2900XTs.

OK, I am a total noob to this kind of stuff, so I need some help. Will this power supply work with the XFX GeForce 8600GT video card that I am getting? My power supply is not the same exact one, but it is very similar, as far as the input/output, etc. Thanks!
The 8600GT only comsumes ~30W itself, so I would say you'd probably be OK. Be aware that the quality of PSUs varies dramatically - a lot of lowend PSUs will not put realistic power ratings on their units.

aquajake91

Mine says it's a "Hipro" on it, I assume thats the brand? I will probably upgrade my PSU just to be safe. What is the "worst case scenario" if the PSU doesn't work?

Jaffasoft

This is a great thread and should be a sticky or a link should be put in the CPU 101 thread or Graphics Card thread 101. Being someone that is learning about all this stuff it's making things a lot clearer for CPU selection with what card I might want to run, weather it's old or new.

I hope it continues to get updated with the old and the new :).

Thanks to ceewi1. Kahoots

ceewi1

VIP Member
Mine says it's a "Hipro" on it, I assume thats the brand? I will probably upgrade my PSU just to be safe. What is the "worst case scenario" if the PSU doesn't work?
Likely you'll end up with stability problems and random restarts either now or some time in the future. It's possible for a cheap PSU to damage other components if overloaded, however.

This is a great thread and should be a sticky or a link should be put in the CPU 101 thread or Graphics Card thread 101. Being someone that is learning about all this stuff it's making things a lot clearer for CPU selection with what card I might want to run, weather it's old or new.

I hope it continues to get updated with the old and the new :).

Thanks to ceewi1. Kahoots
Thank You, I'm glad it's worth the effort. This thread is linked in the http://www.computerforum.com/90118-useful-psu-case-guides.html sticky and I'll endeavour to keep it updated. As for linking to it in the 101 guides in other sections, that's really up to the mods for those sections.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Are you sure that's not for Crossfire? I took my numbers for the X1650 series straight from ATI's website:
http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1650/radeonx1650pro/specs.html
http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1650/radeonx1650xt/specs.html

System Requirements

* PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
* 350-Watt power supply or greater (assumes fully loaded system)
* 512MB of system memory
* Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
* DVD playback requires DVD drive and decoder software (not included)
* Please see ati.com/crossfire for a list of recommended ATI CrossFire™ certified components

550W would really be too high a requirement for X1650 series cards - since they draw between about 45 and 55W peak, it would be out of step with the requirements for other cards with similar real-life power draws.

ceewi1

VIP Member
3870X2 added - numbers as expected. I guess I'm going to have to expand this for 3-card solutions soon :(

teamhex

Wait, My parents bought a x1650 pro to go in there pc and on the box it said you needed a 550watt powersupply. So is this how much the card it self pulls?