power supply hell need help please

Emptyevergreen

im getting an error message every so often through my asus probe. ocasionally i will get a beeping warning indicating that the 3.3 v in the voltage summary has gon too high, high enough to set off the warning, its usually around 3.5 when it happens and of course this is kind of scary considering how much ii have put into this computer if anyone has any ideas then please help me out, shoul i get a new power supply or is this possible fixed through the bios

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
im getting an error message every so often through my asus probe. ocasionally I will get a beeping warning indicating that the 3.3 v in the voltage summary has gon too high, high enough to set off the warning, its usually around 3.5 when it happens and of course this is kind of scary considering how much ii have put into this computer if anyone has any ideas then please help me out, shoul I get a new power supply or is this possible fixed through the bios
Prolly wont be much you can do in the bios... what PSU do you have?

Emptyevergreen

im not sure on the exact model number because it isnt listed on newegg anymore, but its a 400w powmax. im running an asus p4p800s with a 3.0 ghz pentium 4 with a gig of pc 2700 ram an ati 9800 pro 256, maybe three case fans a bayfreezer and i think thats it if that helps

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Any luck if you start removing some of the fans? If not i think it might be time for a new PSU? :)

tristan

Its quite possible and common. If you get a new one make sure it is a quality name brand. When it comes to PSU's name brand means more than the wattage they advertise. Antec, Enermax, Forton- stick with them.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Antec, Enermax, Forton- stick with them.
Forton... never heard of them... i'll have a lookie for my next PSU :)

is it normal for psu to go like that ?
Hmmm... normal? Prolly not. Not-uncommon? Definitely. Also, you might find more problems/unreliability as the temps increase :)

Emptyevergreen

yeah im going to be picking up an antec this weekend, should i stick with 400w or go overkill with a450 or 500 money doesnt matter becasue im loaded...i wish but anything under 100 is reasonable to me so any links or whatever to nice psu's would be gretly appreciated and thanks for the advice fellas

tristan

its fortron, sorry for the misspell
fortron is newer and supposedly has amazing quality for their price. have a look-see :)

Tagan is also a highly respected quality brand.

Last edited:

Emptyevergreen

i got an antec smart power 450 watt and i couldnt be more happy the voltage has stayed dead even since i instlled it and everything is running perfectly woot for antec