Power supply overheating

Discussion in 'Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling' started by Boberino, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Boberino

Boberino New Member

so i recently bought a gtx 750ti to upgrade my pc i got from best buy. it has a 300w power supply, wich is the minimum for the card. but since i installed the card, the power supply is getting extremely hot, and i believe its affecting the temperature of the cpu, since its near the cpu's heatsink, i have this program called speedfan, and it says that my cpu is overheating, probably because the power supply is so hot. so uh, should i get myself a 400w power supply from evga?

2. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you already know the answer :p

3. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Well-Known Member

If the PC was bought from BestBuy, you can be sure that the 300W PSU is not actually as advertised, so you are absolutely experiencing issues because of insufficient power.

4. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

Get at least a 430 evga or corsair cx430.
    Yeah, usually around 180 watts max on those I think.

Laquer Head likes this.
  5. Boberino

Boberino New Member

alright. thx everyone, have a great day :)

6. Laquer Head

Laquer Head Well-Known Member

*Old British butler accent*Your generosity knows no bounds, sir!*Old British butler accent*

7. StrangleHold

StrangleHold Moderator Staff Member

Plus I don't think that's what is over heating your CPU. Your PSU blows air out. Check your CPU cooler for dust and replace your CPU compound.

8. beers

Have you ever dusted out the inside of the computer with canned air or similar?

9. Boberino

Boberino New Member

nah, my old power supply didnt even have a fan on it, it was just so hot that it heats the entire pc. so i got a cx430. and now, i realize that my cpu fan is blowing the air away from the heatsink (not towards it) and the new power supply is now sucking that hot air. and im pretty sure that hot air is not good for a power supply (or anything else in a pc). what should i do about it?

10. Cisco001

Cisco001 Well-Known Member

What case have you got?

Any case fan?

11. Boberino

Boberino New Member

i got a basic case from acer (this pc is from best buy), and for some reason, there is NO case fan. the case has some location for fans, but they are empty >_>

12. beers

You're pretty much stuck with that unless you have a bottom mount PSU case that has a vent in the bottom. Some cases have their own external airflow for the PSU. Otherwise, your CPU heatsink is doing what it's designed to do.

You might notice a difference by adding a case fan or two to present more fresh air to the interior of the case.

13. Cisco001

Cisco001 Well-Known Member

14. Boberino

Boberino New Member

alright. but i also had this idea, of removing the side panel when im gaming. will that help?

15. C4C

C4C Well-Known Member

Yes, but it'll get dusty and might create issues due to static electricity...