Power supply question

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I'm pretty sure most Silverstone units blow Ultras out of the water. It's just an overall more respected brand.

Knightsman

Respected more by you buy not me. But everyone has thier own opinion. Ive built many powerful machines using Ultra power supplies and the do just fine.

ceewi1

VIP Member
The Silverstone ST65ZF is a very high quality PSU, but also a rather old design with very low efficiency by modern standards. If that doesn't bother you, it's a good deal.

If you're going to go with one of the Ultras, I'd get the X-Pro even with the price difference. It's certainly not a bad PSU, but doesn't strike me as outstanding value.

One good option at the $100 mark is the Corsair TX650. What are the specs of the system it will be powering.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Respected more by you buy not me. But everyone has thier own opinion. Ive built many powerful machines using Ultra power supplies and the do just fine.
Yeah opinion can be a pain to work with.... let's talk technical -- what's ultra's voltage tolerance at 50C on their 12V rail at 90% load? Prolly a lot closer to 10% than 5%.

How hard did you overclock those 'high performance machines' -- you wouldnt think it, but a not-top-notch power supply will keep you a 200MHz away from what you could get.

Case in point, this Ultra here is a piece of crap (as is the 500W)

One good option at the $100 mark is the Corsair TX650. What are the specs of the system it will be powering.
The OCz GameXStream powersupplys are of surprising value (at least here in canada), the 600W can be had for sub-100 if u look hard enough.