power supply requirement????

joelkyr

HI, Im building my first system, just want to know if there is a minumum power requirementt for P4 with 3++ghz :) . THANKS

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
400W power supply as a baseline, preferably from a reputeable manufacturer like Enermax, Antec, Entec, Vantec, Thermaltake, PC Power & Cooling etc :)

Viper_86

banned
joelkyr said:
HI, Im building my first system, just want to know if there is a minumum power requirementt for P4 with 3++ghz :)
i dont kbow much about the power requirements for processors but if ur lookin to do any gaming and on a low budget...i would recommend something along the lines of a radeon 9700...if u get the 9800 or higher, a 350 watt power supply is required. and as praetor already knows...im big on the x800...but that alone costs as much as a cheap computer. as a lot of u can probably tell i am really in2 video cards :D

Viper_86

banned
Praetor said:
The 5700/9600 gives you a lot more bang for-buck but thats a different topic :)[/QUOTya i dont no enuf about those models to reall say anything...but our dell has the 9700 and its pretty good...of course i would like the x800 better...but thats coz i have high standards with computers, plus who wouldnt want the top of the line car?!? but i would prolly listen to praetor on this one since hes had more ati cards..and nivida cards than i have..plus hes in the computer sales business...acorrding to his profile anway

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well the initial question was about PSUs and i thik we covered that one pretty well :)

Blind_Arrow

i'm using 350W from Fortran on this machine specified without any problems, but i'll personelly recommend at least 400W

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Glad it could work out.

Blind Arrow
Might be because you live in a cooler region of the world -- as the temperatures rise the actual output of a PSU becomes less significant :)

joelkyr

One more thing, do you think it would be better to get a case w/o a power supply, and get one of those you recommended or get a case with power supply. Thanks Again!!!!!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
One more thing, do you think it would be better to get a case w/o a power supply, and get one of those you recommended or get a case with power supply. Thanks Again!!!!!!
Depends on the case. Often the "bling-bling" cases come with crappy PSUs so I woudl reccomend getting the PSU seprate :)

Nephilim

VIP Member
If it's any help, I just put a new PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe into my system and I've never been so impressed with the quality of PSU as I am with this one. The thing weighs a ton because of the the large heat sinks, caps and inductors. I'm a constuction electrician so I know a bit about what quality electrical components are and this thing has them. It has active line conditioning, adjustable pots and all the cables come with very nice black braiding covering them. The 5 year warranty they give it speaks volumes to me about how confident they are in the quality of their product.

It replaced a Vantec Stealth 420W that started to take a dump. The +5V rail dropped to less than half and was causing all sorts of lockups and weirdness. All those problems have since disappeared :)

The way I look at it is that the PSU is the last place you want to skimp on a system. All my fancy-schmancy expensive components can't do squat if they aren't getting clean consistent power. A cheap PSU that fails can destroy expensive components when it goes!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
It replaced a Vantec Stealth 420W that started to take a dump. The +5V rail dropped to less than half and was causing all sorts of lockups and weirdness.
Sure sure ... blame the PSU :p

The way I look at it is that the PSU is the last place you want to skimp on a system. All my fancy-schmancy expensive components can't do squat if they aren't getting clean consistent power. A cheap PSU that fails can destroy expensive components when it goes!
Yep! :)