Power to peripherals problem

celsiusrising

Hello all, my pc is an asrock dual boot running win7 and win8 . All the power to my peripherals : video, busses, has stopped working. Any ideas as to why, steps to take? Could the cmos battery be the culprit?
Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean by busses? All the pci express ports? If so, the motherboard probably went bad. Are you using a dedicated card or onboard video? If the motherboard/cpu has onboard video then remove the video card and connect to onboard video and try. You could have a bios setting stating the pciexpress is the first boot for video instead of onboard video.

celsiusrising

I meant usb busses. All of a sudden, my wireless mouse stopped working, then no video. The computer starts, but nothing to any usb ports, nothing on screen, no power except to the fans. It appears to be booting up, but can't be sure, changing drives doesn't help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Could be bad power supply, failed motherboard. You should be able to see if its booting up if the hard drive activity light is blinking. If you have another system i would start copying data from the drives in this system before they get fried, The system can still be tested with the drives attached as well. If you don't have the knowledge to diagnose then I would recommend taking somewhere and paying the cheap diagnosis fee to get the real reason. They will have all the parts needed to test. But I'm guessing your motherboard is just shot.