Powerful Router - $100 Range

Okedokey

$100 / hour isn't a high charge out rate, mine is over 3 x that, but the issue raised (whether we all agree or not) is that for that money one would not expect a fundamental question asked from such a professional. Not necessarily my view, but that was the point. Anyway, back on topic??

beers

Staff member
They have no need, they can connect to that router from the moon now lol.

With 2.4 being so isolated, high gain antennas usually present more problems than they solve unless you've done a spectrum analysis of their area.

Geoff

VIP Member
I ended up building a 2.4GHz router with a old computer I had lying around with pfSense. I picked up a 12DB antenna and strapped that into a wireless network card on the back.
High gain antennas are more directional than low gain antennas, meaning that if the antenna is your standard vertical omni it's going to have even less upper and lower coverage, and will be more directional horizontally. How long is the cable between the NIC and antenna? The signal lose is quite high at 2.4GHz.

Krovos

With 2.4 being so isolated, high gain antennas usually present more problems than they solve unless you've done a spectrum analysis of their area.
It seems to have worked quite while in this instance. The gaming computer is getting some pretty quick and somewhat consistent packet trips. It would definitely be more ideal if the user had the opportunity to connect directly though.

High gain antennas are more directional than low gain antennas, meaning that if the antenna is your standard vertical omni it's going to have even less upper and lower coverage, and will be more directional horizontally. How long is the cable between the NIC and antenna? The signal lose is quite high at 2.4GHz.

I didn't quite think about that. The antenna cable is 3ft in length.

Attachments

• ping.PNG
    ping.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 7

jjohn6

I also have no way of knowing how stable your connection is with a test like that.
>CMD
>ping google.com -t
>then show results

Same setup as described before:
Capture_GDNS.PNG
============================================
Capture_Gate.PNG
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Added wireless access point on the end, because I'm classy: (mta/cm->netgear>powerline->powerline->tplinkswitch->tplinkap->laptop
Capture_GDNSW.PNG
============================================
Capture_GateW.PNG
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Direct to mta/cm why not.
Capture_GDNSmo.PNG