powerline extenders - your thoughts?

IPexpress

These netgear powerline extenders are a very good way to distribute networking points around the home, particularly when there may be problems using an alternative wireless solution. This particular model uses the 500Mbs standard which will provide a fast communications medium. I have used them for many clients and would certainly recommend them.

robina_80

what about if you want to connect more than one device(s) up to the powerline, how can you buy more single powerlines?

strollin

Just for a different view, I tried some at my house and I could only establish a connection between 2 particular wall sockets within the same room and spaced about 10 feet apart. I couldn't establish a connection using any other wall sockets in my house. I ended up returning the adapters and making wfi work.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
what about if you want to connect more than one device(s) up to the powerline, how can you buy more single powerlines?

I think if you wanted to connect more than one device to one of the powerlines,then you would also need a Network Switch,Which would then share the incoming connection from the powerline to the rest of your devices,but then it gets all messy...(lead wise).

I don't think you can buy the powerline in singles,ive been after third one for another room but not been able to find any.

As for what strollin said,When i was looking for that third powerline i went into Maplin and asked the guys there, and after telling me they only sold them in pairs,he then asked me...do they actually work,because he tried them and they wouldn't connect.

So im betting its really depending on your house layout,and how many sockets you have etc...mine sync up instantly and just worked...maybe i was lucky.

robina_80

so as i can only see them sold in pairs, does that mean you can only plug in one device at a time over the powerline?

because i would have imagined you could buy them individually as you have already got the transmitter unit connected up to your router and plug so all you need is another reciever to plug in another device

tremmor

Just for a different view, I tried some at my house and I could only establish a connection between 2 particular wall sockets within the same room and spaced about 10 feet apart. I couldn't establish a connection using any other wall sockets in my house. I ended up returning the adapters and making wfi work.

I plan on getting one. Im guessing and likely right that you have to be on the same phase. Usually a room will be wired on the same phase. Not always though. Im saying the device plugs into one phase 120v and has to be hooked up to the same phase and not the other 120v phase. thats my guess.

WeatherMan

Powerlines will only work around the whole premises if each ring main or radial circuit in the house is connected up to the same earthed connector block in your fusebox/consumer unit.

I am also interested in PowerLine, right now I run wifi around the house, but I have 1 foot thick solid brick walls and the coverage is terrible.

I don't know how I would be able to set it up, because I need my router connected (obviously) as well as two PC's downstairs and a YouView TV box.

I have seen triple and quad PL packs on the net, but they seem to be pretty rare, that is really what I need and it would be good if the main unit which connected to the router would assign its own IP to each of the unit's detected around the house, but then I don't know how that would work with DHCP, can a specific device request more than 1 IP Address?

Sorry for the Hi-jack :rolleyes:

EDIT: Done a bit of research

£30, Quad pack, it says plug one into your router, and the others into any other devices you want to connect!

http://www.faculty-x.net/homeplug value range.htm

These are the 85Mb plugs, others can be found on the site but are more expensive.

I would pick up a pair and see how they all work for you guys, but I have already bought a Wireless AP which will be enabled as soon as my room is completed, I am hoping that this will sort out my network coverage.

Last edited:

WeatherMan

I plan on getting one. Im guessing and likely right that you have to be on the same phase. Usually a room will be wired on the same phase. Not always though. Im saying the device plugs into one phase 120v and has to be hooked up to the same phase and not the other 120v phase. thats my guess.

Sorry I forgot to quote you :)

Pretty much all domestic premises in the UK are singe phase seeing as we run 230V AC so that doesn't apply to us :cool:

Last edited:

robina_80

Im just going to get a pair and connect up my main pc as i heavily use that for playing online games so i wont use the wirless anymore and get a range extender for ipad iphones etc

robina_80

Its wierd as you think a pair consists of two receivers for your devices, you dont think its the transmitter and receiver, bit of a con if you ask me

WeatherMan

Yes, but at the same time you need a device to connect your router into the home electrical network.

I don't think any routers come with built in powerline capabilities.

I do agree though they should make it more clear that you're buying a host and a receiver. That's what is making it so confusing for us who want to expand our networks, we want want a single receiver. For some reason trying to buy one is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I may send an email to the powerline techs themselves

robina_80

Or do they want you to buy a pair for each device if so my router only has 4 lan ports?, im going to talk to them as its bit confusing

WeatherMan

Its probably a stupid marketing scheme. You don't need to buy two adapters for one device, but I think you know that already! :)

robina_80

Yeah it does seem stupid buying individual pairs for every device but why on earth dont they sell a triple or quad set its bizzare?!

WeatherMan

When you buy a triple/quad you get a host and 3 receivers, if you bought 3/4 receivers nothing would work!

What do you mean by a 4 way adapter?

WeatherMan

I have read that switches/hubs will cause no issue.

I suspect that the host units have some way of assigning as many IP addresses
as they detect, although it could differ from manufacturer :)