Powerline Vs Wireless

Wookloaf

Hey everyone.. I unfortunately connect everything through wireless signals, whether it be my PS3 or my laptop. I live in a basement suite and the landlord provides free wireless internet for me and my girlfriend to use (which is nice).. We were having issue with it being horribly slow, so he went out and bought a signal booster and we did see a fair difference (from 2mbps - 10mbps).

Now. I'm building my own system for the first time, and i'm at a crossroads. Because i'll obviously need a internet signal, and me being me, I want it to be the very best it can be. So my dilemma is do I invest in a Dual band wireless adapter that I would install into my computer, or do I go the Powerline route.

What are some experiences between the two? Will a wireless adapter be good enough since he has a signal booster?

P.S. My computer is gonna be used for mainly gaming.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Ethernet over Power can be better then wireless in some situations but it depends completely on the wiring in the building (age of the building?), the distance between the two EoP adapters and the power circuit between the two EoP adapters.

You can always buy or borrow a pair of adapters and check to see if its better then wireless.

strollin

As Zerox said the powerline adapters can be iffy. For instance, I bought some to use because I couldn't get a decent wireless connection to one of the rooms of my house. I found out they would only work in one room of my house, between 2 plugs on the same wall, about 10 feet apart. I've read where others have had great results with them. By all means give them a shot, they may work great or they may not work at all.

WeatherMan

I recently switched to Powerline in my house due to frequent wireless drop outs and overall bad signal, now I have to put up with the adapters tripping the RCD every other week or so.

I'm not sure which is the better scenario :p

Wookloaf

Is there any powerline adapters that should be avoided? I've been looking at D-Link powerline adapters and trying to figure out if it would be a waste of money or not. It's a AV500 which has a plug adapter built into the front of it.

Also I don't know what the freedom is with the compatibility of them.. like for instance, one is a DHP-P339AV , and another is a DHP-P338AV. So i don't know if they would work together or not!