Practicality, which to buy?

chanchan05

As some of you guys may know, I had a thread here on choosing some laptop models. I basically chose the Vaio. However my mom and I were having a talk the other day, since I needed a new laptop with both mobility and power for various reasons. She suggested why dont I just buy a netbook and a desktop, which I could have for the same price as a new mid-range laptopI thought about and it and though there are advantages and disadvantages, I'd like some other people's opinions as well.

What do you think? What are the pros and cons of having a desktop+netbook combo as opposed to having just a laptop with about the same specs as the desktop in this case?

sync

I think having a netbook+desktop is a great idea. Can't even think of any real cons to this to be honest. I can however think of plenty cons of having just a mid range laptop...

Anyone disagree?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I like the desktop / netbook combination. The desktop can offer you power without the extra cost of that in laptops, especially a portable one. A netbook can offer you portability and will allow you to do some basic internet/media stuff on the road.

chanchan05

Well, I plan on bringin the net book to school, and use it for office apps, reading pdfs, surfing, and basically typing. If I'm gonna play anything on it, it would be something just to kill time, like games from popcap (insaniquarium, zuma, plants vs zombies, etc), as I am not likely to have actual gaming time in school. When I get back home I can play on the desktop as much as I want. Hmm, the only low cost laptops here for me would be a compaq, since as I said before I dont like going to brands without customer service. But I'll see if I can find something that weighs less than 2 kilos.

These are the units I'm planning to buy:
Desktop:
HP Pavilion p6100 Desktop PC series Home & Home Office
-I'm still trying to decide if I should buy the first one and upgrade the RAM and vcard later or just get myself broke for the moment and buy the second one. LOL.
Netbooks:
VPCW125AG : W Series : VAIO Notebook & Computer : Sony Philippines
or
HP Mini 311-1000 PC series specifications - HP Home & Home Office products

yazjimen

Simply Best Coupons

I have a desktop but I would prefer the benefits of having a laptop. Yes, desktop is cheaper but for travelling people like me, laptop is the best option. Having both is superb.

Drenlin

Another +1 for Netbook+Desktop. I'd get one from someplace like iBuyPower though, instead of a large company. You'll get a much better PC for the price. I "built" one just now with better specs than that for <$700.

They even have bundle packages that include a netbook. :)

edit: I also just built one that beats the crap out of the HP's specs, comes with a netbook and free mp3 player, looks great(neon lights, windowed case), and has much better features, for about $80 less than the HP. Also comes with 3 year warranty and lifetime support, which HP will not top. The only thing it lacks is an OS, but since you're a student you can get windows 7 from microsoft for $30. ($40 for a disk, I think)

edit: here...figured out how to share it

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gzmukjj2ttw/PrintBox.aspx.htm

Last edited:

chanchan05

Thanks. I've pretty much decided for netbook+desktop anyway, as a full powered laptop desktop replacement would never stand a chance against a desktop anyway, and I could just installe the "lite" versions of certain software on the netbook if I really need it.

Anyway, my mom wouldnt even listen to me about just building my own desktop since I've never built one before, and have no experience owning one, as my first computer was a laptop. So I'll be buying a PC from a company.

Besides, I'm in the Philippines, and most of the more reliable shops here just sell the company bundled PCs.

Drenlin

^ That company builds the pc for you...no assembly required.

They don't ship outside the us/canada though. There's got to be someplace like them that ships over there, though. OEM brands really screw you over on anything but budget machines.

chanchan05

^ That company builds the pc for you...no assembly required.

They don't ship outside the us/canada though. There's got to be someplace like them that ships over there, though. OEM brands really screw you over on anything but budget machines.

What's OEM?

I'm trying to find a more "reputable" shop to buy a desktop from here anyway.

yazjimen

Simply Best Coupons

I have a desktop but I would prefer the benefits of having a laptop. Yes, desktop is cheaper but for travelling people like me, laptop is the best option. Having both is superb.

Stoic Sentinel

Yeah, cool... except you already said that...

Anyway, my mom wouldnt even listen to me about just building my own desktop since I've never built one before, and have no experience owning one, as my first computer was a laptop. So I'll be buying a PC from a company.

Well technically you won't HAVE any experience until you actually DO it...