idyllhands
New Member
I just recently purchased a Gateway SX2800. It is the first pre-built system I've bought (my old ones were self built). The amount of bloatware on there is impressive.
I have a few questions I was hoping you all could answer:
1) I just got my Win 7 Upgrade CD. Can I do a "custom" install and just wipe all the bloat ware that way? Or will that fry some of the drivers?
2) It appears that the HDD has a hidden partition on it. I am assuming this is the restore partition. Is it safe to delete once I have made backup discs?
3) Is there any actually useful Gateway bloatware that I might want to keep? (Most of it appears to be NetZero subscriptions, and ebay shortcuts, and CD burning software, none of which I need)
Lastly, the DVD-R that came with it is toast. The PC was actually a refurb. Should I contact Gateway, or the refurbing company? Do you think I can just send them the drive, or have to send the whole PC?
Thanks, sorry if the questions are dumb, I've never had to deal with a manufactured PC before...
I have a few questions I was hoping you all could answer:
1) I just got my Win 7 Upgrade CD. Can I do a "custom" install and just wipe all the bloat ware that way? Or will that fry some of the drivers?
2) It appears that the HDD has a hidden partition on it. I am assuming this is the restore partition. Is it safe to delete once I have made backup discs?
3) Is there any actually useful Gateway bloatware that I might want to keep? (Most of it appears to be NetZero subscriptions, and ebay shortcuts, and CD burning software, none of which I need)
Lastly, the DVD-R that came with it is toast. The PC was actually a refurb. Should I contact Gateway, or the refurbing company? Do you think I can just send them the drive, or have to send the whole PC?
Thanks, sorry if the questions are dumb, I've never had to deal with a manufactured PC before...