Preview PDF in Firefox

chuchi

Hi
i'm having a problem with firefox, i hope somebody here can help me ;)

when opening a PDF Firefox stopped using its built-in PDF-Viewer once i installed Foxit-PDF and instead downloads them now...
I already checked the settings, but under Options-> General-> Applications "Portable Document Format(PDF)" is set to "Preview in Firefox".. but the files are still getting downloaded..

I even checked the file-types and i changed .pdf back to Adobe Reader, the only thing it changed is that now the PDFs are downloaded and then opened directly in Adobe Reader. (Preview in Firefox is still set...)

Can anyone provide a solution for that behaviour? :(

chuchi

Hi, thanks for your reply
but xodo seems to be only for mobile platforms and has a webapp
anyway, i'm looking for a solution that the pdfs once again open in firefox instead of downloading them directly... :(

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you go into default programs and select firefox, how many defaults does it have? Try clicking on set this program as default so it has all of its defaults enabled.

AlienMenace

Hi, thanks for your reply
but xodo seems to be only for mobile platforms and has a webapp
anyway, i'm looking for a solution that the pdfs once again open in firefox instead of downloading them directly... :(
What OS are you running?
If windows 10, you should be able to download the Xodo app.

Have you looked for a pdf extension through the add-ons under tools in firefox?
Maybe this one will do for you,
PDF editor online by officeonlinesystems. Go to Tool tab in firefox, then click on add-ons. Then go to the bottom of the page and click on "add more add-on's" and add the "PDF editor online by officeonlinesystems" in the search bar without the quotes.

chuchi

@johnb35 i can set Firefox as default for basic HTML extensions (htm html shtml xhtml xht) and following protocols: FTP, HTTP, HTTPS

@AlienMenace, windows 10
i can download xodo for android phone & tablet, windows phone & tablet, iphone & ipad or get the (also in the download section) web app for safari/firefox/ie, chrome web app or chrome extension
or just launch the webapp directly on the home of www.xodo.com
but anyway, this is not what i wanted, i would like to fix firefox from downloading pdfs instead of previewing them without any new readers :)

i fought i found a 2 possible solution: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1097418
1 suggested to reset a part of my profiles: mimeTypes.rdf sadly, i couldnt find the file (as i realized to late: it was lately changed to "handlers.json")
the other one suggested a change in the config -> about:config -> plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types
as mentioned the value was set to application/pdf so i reset it ("pdfjs.disabled" was already set correctly to false)

sadly, i didnt work out... but as adding all extensions, addons, bookmarks and passwords isnt that much of a problem with firefox sync i decided to reinstall firefox
but still that wasnt enough, as simple deinstalling firefox will keep the profile files: which seem to be the source of that behaviour...

so again: deinstalling + deleting all profile files (Mozilla Folder under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming and C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local) and reinstalling firefox (thanks to chocolatey in a few seconds)
and this time it worked....
the funny thing is, i checked back in the config tab, and plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types was actually set to application/pdf ...

so for all those running into the same problem (PDF set to Preview in Firefox but still downloading...) i suggest try to delete that file: handlers.json
or reinstall firefox + delete the profile!