Prices and Drives Confuse Me

ScottALot

Okay, I'm gonna game on my new computer, and I want a drive that can play games and watch movies (nothing blu-ray or HD). I look up drives on NewEgg and I get confused between CD/DVD Burners and CD/DVD Drives. Do CD/DVD Burners also play CD/DVD's? Because I don't want to buy a drive useless to me. (Also, I need to download an OS through the drive)

gamerman4

CD/DVD burners will also play CDs and DVDs. The only difference is that they are able to burn CDs and DVDs as well.
There are also so-called "combo" drives which can play CDs and DVDs but only burn CDs.

aviation_man

Samsung is a good company. I bought my Samsung drive off of new egg for 20$. And they're really quiet.
You should aim for a CD/DVD burner combo. (one that will burn both CD/DVD) just to get one. Why should you spend the same amount of money on a drive that can only burn CD's? Might as well get the whole combo, know what I'm saying?

Last edited:

gamerman4

What do you think is the best drive for the money?

I usually don't spend any more than $35 on a CD/DVD burner drive unless I am looking for specific features. If you want a recommendation then go for Sony, my Sony drive is much quieter than my LG and NEC drives.

MouSe

Samsung or Lite-On for the win. I only got an LG because it was cheap and I don't care about noise.

ScottALot

I don't care about noise either (i hate silence), but when the noise is creating some vibration, then there's an issue.

bomberboysk

I don't care about noise either (i hate silence), but when the noise is creating some vibration, then there's an issue.
Sony and Lite-on have the least failure rates from what ive experienced. I got my asus drives in combo deals and regret every minute of it, one has died, and its not worth the shipping to rma them. Ill be purchasing a new sony or lite-on drive here in a few weeks.

PohTayToez

Check the reviews. Sometimes certain models of drives are duds, and either have a high failure rate or don't burn very well, so it's good to check out the reviews and see if anyone has had a problem with the drive. Anything with lots of reviews and 5 stars average should be fine.

Twist86

I am a huge fan of Lite-On I bought a cheap SATA OEM for $20 can burn CD/DVD and watch DVD/CD so was a good deal.

Had to do it since new boards only have 1 IDE connector and at the time I was using 2 IDE HDD as storage drives.

ScottALot

The only thing I don't like about Lite-On is that their name sounds like an off-brand... anyone agree?

Mitch?

banned
Lite-On sounds knock-off.

I'm using an LG right now, but have had Lite On and Sony.

@scurtis - it's not spammy or anything, but unless you have a specific deal, don't post a site.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Lite-On drives are obnoxiously loud. I'm using a Samsung drive and it's whisper quiet compared to a Lite-On I used before.

Mitch?

banned
Never had an issue with LG. As far as this one goes (which is only the second i've boughten from LG) i don't notice any read sounds (unless it's spun up like 52x of course) and the writes can be loud depending on how fast you burn, but not very, and seen as a dvd takes near no time to burn, it's not a hassle.