Printer Install Problem

Shadly

I'm trying to install a printer on my Toshiba Satellite and my HP Tablet PC. The Toshiba is running Vista and the HP is running Windows 7. The printer is a Brother Laser Printer, HL 2170 W. It is a wireless printer.

Sticking with the HP right now, I am trying to follow the directions to install it right now, but it's not working. I tried it all three ways that it offers, but nothing. Right now it says it is installed and active, but I can't print anything. If I use a USB connection it works fine, but the wireless install doesn't work. The directions and install disk are no help.

Please someone help, I don't even know where to start to describe the problem.

Shadly

There are three or four different ways to install the printer. Wireless with an initial connection via ethernet to the wireless hub is the recommended one. When I do this, it doesn't detect the printer. There is another wireless network called "setup" that appears. If I leave it connected to my wireless network, I doesn't detect; when I connect to the setup option it detects. However, when I go to the next step which is configure SSID, it doesn't detect anything on either networks.

All firewalls, anti virus, anti spam, etc. is disabled.

Samuel1941

I added a Brothers printer using wifi and over time, my computer kept periodically freezing right after it booted.

Not knowing what was wrong (eventually discovered it was the printer) I checked for a virus, malware, bad RAM, etc. I finally thought maybe my OS was corrupted.

Eventually, completely frustrated, I formated my hard drive and had to reinstall everything. Reinstalling the Brothers, it was then that I discovered it was the printer software causing the problem!!

I then connected the printer using the USB connection. Again it caused freezing.

What I've done now is leave the USB cable unconnected until I need to print. I click print, connect the USB cable, and print. Then I have to disconnect the cable again or the computer will hang (freeze) when I shut down. (I discovered when the computer hung on shut down, if I disconnected the USB printer cable, the computer would proceed and shut down.)

So, I connect the printer only when I'm actively printing, and then disconnect it. Pain in the butt, but I don't want to buy a new printer...

Brothers printers...bad!! Interesting to see I'm not the only one having a problem!!

If your Brothers printer is new, I'd advise you to return it if you can (unfortuately I could not return mine or I would have).

Obviously, I will never buy an other Brothers printer!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Shadly

I'm not having any type of problem like that. It works when you install it via USB, its the networking which is the limiting factor (like it is in modern society - printing and networking are complete smoke and mirrors).

Their installation wizards are inhumane and unacceptable. When I open up the "Network Places" via windows, the printer is right there. It's their installation software. It is wrong and stupid. I am starting to fully appreciate that most of the companies associated with printing and networking have managed to assure themselves high wages and job stability by making their products absurd and needlessly convoluted.

That said, if there are anyone out their that work for these companies and know how to install this, please help, I was only joking...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into the printers section and either hover over it or go into its properties and it will tell what port its on or what ip address it has if its actually setup wirelessly.

It's sounds like you just have it setup through the usb connection and wirelessly yet.