Printer, scanner, fax, question?

Kazoon

With these printer, scanner, fax all in one deals how do you fax something? And how do you recieve a fax? Can it be done over the dsl line or do I need to hook the phone line up to the modem. If I need to hook the phone line up to the modem do I need to have a seperate fax line installed with a fax number or can I just use my existing phoneline?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
They usally have a modem build into them, so they would only work over a phone line. Not that that should be a problem, just have the filter connected to it :p

You can use your regular telephone line for fax, but you'd have to disable the machine when you don't want it to pick up. Or, there might be a way to have it pick up after so many rings, similar to an answering machine.

Kazoon

My mom has one and I dont remember seeing a place to plug a phoneline into the printer...and to dial a fax number you had to use the software that was included with it. That made me think that you needed to use the computer modem because aint some dial up modems also a fax modem? I am blind here I am trying to walk my wife through hooking up her fathers fax over the phone with no directions and I cant see, she is my eyeballs and hands, lol!

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Some of the all-in-ones come with PC Faxing only, yes. However, most should also have regular faxing if they have this feature. What is the model of the printer that you are referring to?

Kazoon

What is the model of the printer that you are referring to?
I dont know, like I said I am kinda working in the dark here and my wife was over there trying to set it up...I am going to go over there tomorrow and I will have more info to provide.

Greggie Boy

I got a Cheapie all-in-one(HP4215) and there is a connection from the printer to the phone line, I leave it unconected until my son decides to fax a Resume and diconnect afterwards.
If it is going to be used on a daily basis, a seperate phone line should be installed but that means an extra phone bill