Printing off the screen

Bobo

banned
HP Laserjet 8100DN

Whenever I print something, the first page comes out fine, but all the pages from then on are pushed off to the right, at varying degrees. It has been doing this for a while, but now it is worse. The amount is about a half an inch.

I tried replacing the rollers, but that did nothing

It does not matter what program I am printing from, or what the margins are

Whenever I open the paper drawer, the next paper is sortof already out of the drawer, but it doesn't seem to affect the first page of the next document.

Any suggestions?

edit: whoops I meant to say printing off the paper :eek:

AdmnPower

VIP Member
go under the printer properties and see if anything looks out of place, thats a really awk problem, i'd say something was messed up in your printer but u said the first page comes out fine.

Bobo

banned
Nope, nothing is messed up under there.

After rebooting my comptuer once, it works OK, but then all of a sudden it came back again.

Could it be a data transmission problem? I know my parallel cables are crap....I have a dual male cable connected to a regular parallel cable connected to an adapter connected to the printer cable connected to the printer, could something in there be causing it? Or could it be the Black Box Intelligent Printer Switch?

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Whoa, Whoa, how many connectors/converters do you have connecting the printer to the computer? (and why do you have so many, probably the transmission is getting scrambled because of the distance and different changes the data has to go through...) I would guess that the first page is fine because it's the first page, but then the subsequent pages are getting scrambled by some leftover or unfinished data on the cable...

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
Whoa, Whoa, how many connectors/converters do you have connecting the printer to the computer?
too many :rolleyes:
(and why do you have so many,
To extend the cable so that it reaches the printer....
probably the transmission is getting scrambled because of the distance and different changes the data has to go through...) I would guess that the first page is fine because it's the first page, but then the subsequent pages are getting scrambled by some leftover or unfinished data on the cable...
But right now it's working just fine for all pages...:confused:

Bl00dFox

Defect printer... maybe? Try the drivers... RMA it if you got it from newegg. Call a technician . Whatever.

Bobo

banned
I've had this printer for a year and a half

The drivers are fine. PCL 6

I got it for free

I am the technician.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Ok, how far do you have to go? The problem with using that many connectors and converters is that every time that you go through one, not only does it slow up the connection, but it gives another point that could possibly cause an error to occur... I would suggest consolidating the mess into as few cables as possible, and one cable only if possible...

Bobo

banned
OK, I messed around with this for a while, and I tried every single combination of cables, including directly connecting the printer to the computer, and it does the same thing every time. It prints the first page fine, then every other page has a larger margin, between .5" and 1" larger than the original one.

1. Could it be a problem with the direct printer cable? I would have tested this long ago, but it has a special connection into the printer, not the normal parallel connection.

2. Could it be the printer path? It does exactly the same thing out of all 4 trays, so it isn't the pickup rollers

3. Could it be something in the drum/lasers?

Geoff

VIP Member
When was the last time it was cleaned and/or had a tune up?

It's a laser printer im guessing, correct?

Bobo

banned
[-0MEGA-];522712 said:
When was the last time it was cleaned and/or had a tune up?
I run cleaning pages through it about every week. What do you mean by tune up? I replaced all the rollers about 2 months ago.

It's a laser printer im guessing, correct?
It helps to read the whole thread :p HP Laserjet 8100DN

Bobo

banned
Ah here's something interesting. It does the exact same thing (first page fine, rest of the pages moved off to the left(portrait) or down(landscape)) when printing configuration pages from inside the printer. So it has nothing to do with the data transmission.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Yeah, then there's definitely something off with the rollers somewhere inside. Probably one of more of them are dirty, time to get out the good 'ol alcohol and cleaning cloths...

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Because a dirty roller can usually pick up the first page fine, but when the other pages come along (namely the second page) then it doesn't do quite as good of a job... Your main problem is in how and when the printer picks up the second page.

Bobo

banned
But I replaced all the rollers and it did the exact same thing from every single tray. All the rollers are clean.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Ok, didn't know that... :eek: Anyway, the problem is with the second page. Perhaps the machine is momentarily stopping the rollers, or they are catching slightly, IDK... But, it's definitely something that is happening when the printer is trying to grab the second page...

Bobo

banned
Well I guess that's possible, but it still seems unlikely to me :confused:

Could it be a problem with the laser printing assembly? I've had problems with this toner before, and it's really a piece of crap (it's one of those junky compatible toners). Could it be reading where the paper is wrong, and printing it wrong?

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Very doubtful. You can try an authentic cartridge and see if that would fix the problem, but it's not even the cartridge that reads where the paper is, it's the machine.

kof2000

yeah if it is still under warranty then have a tech come in and fix it. thats what i did because i wasn't hired to fix printers lol even though i had to get off work an hour later because this guy comes in right before i go off work lol.