Private Game Servers

Discussion in 'Computer Networking and Servers' started by Ravensica, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Ravensica

Ravensica New Member

There's plenty of private game servers for almost any game from runescape to world of warcraft to club penguin. Where can i learn to make a professional private game server?

2. Deerling7

Deerling7 Active Member

The internet has plenty of tutorials. Depends on what game though. Some are really easy, with programs that do much the work for you, other games though require a bit more patience.

3. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Depends on your definition of professional.

A lot of larger scale hosting services automate provisioning/installation/configuration items. If you just want to roll a single server there's usually a server executable you can obtain and launch.

4. Ravensica

Ravensica New Member

I see tutorials on making small ones for like you and a few friends but i want to make a big private server with its own website and many players from all over, that's what i meant by professional.

5. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

How much capital do you have to sink into this?

6. Ravensica

Ravensica New Member

Money really shouldn't be much of a problem. I have the money just need to know where to start to create this.

7. Ravensica

Ravensica New Member

8. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

Just search for game server hosts in Google. But don't use Gamservers.com I had a horrible experience with them and reported them to the Better Business Bureau.

9. serve2000

serve2000 New Member

The best thing you can do to learn how to host games is to dive in and just start with one you like. I enjoyed running one on a spare computer while I was in college and learned a lot about computers in the process. All games handle differently than each other, even ones that share the same engine. Mods/add-ons/etc. throw in another X factor.

Because all games are so different, you probably won't find a single site that acts as a tutorial for all of them. Especially not for something like WoW, which I think is technically not authorized to run privately.