problem and confused

Baddogg79

Here are the spec on my computer

3.o Prescott P4
1GB Geil Ram
256mb nvidia fx5500 card

My problem is this, i just started into pc gaming, the fan on my vid card is shott, so ill need a new card. I was thinking to go with all new stuff:

2.4 core 2 duo
1GB ddr2
512 pci-e card w/hdtv

But the more i look at it, the games i play work fine, no lag. Better graphics that xbox. But when i ran 3dmark , i got a 170 ( no lie) Do i really need this higherend stuff, or should i just replace to a better agp card and add more ram?? Maybe oc the P4?

ryf

I would only replace your vid card, and maybe add another gig of ram if you really want to spend more money. I bought a 7600 GT 256mb very reasonably priced, plays BF2 with all settings on.

your PC should be fine with just a vid card upgrade.

joxley1990

That CPU is pretty good for gaming, if I was going to do anything, just get a nice video card, and top your RAM to 2GB.

Baddogg79

I found a pretty nice card its a xfx 7600gs goes for about 300. Now my P4 is a socket 478. Would there be an advantage to go to a 775 p4 for now, to get the pci-e since the better cards seem to be for pci-e? But if i end up doing that, i need a mobo, ddr2 ram, P4 or core 2 duo, and a pci-e card. :confused: I wish the money tree in my yard would grow:rolleyes:

ryf

GIGABYTE GV-N76G256D-RH GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X RoHS Compliant Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125039

BFG Tech BFGR78256GSOC GeForce 7800GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143046

Theres always an advantage to upgrading... it may or may not be worth it, I'd wait on going upgrade crazy, your system+video card is good enough to get the job done, if you want something new, thats a different issue. my new system was bought because I couldn't even install new games anymore, so now its a games server :) My tulatin was my gaming box up until a month ago, so your current PC ismore than up for the challenge.

Last edited: