Problem: Cpu fan speeding up.

Life

banned
So here is my problem. I couple weeks ago I bought a new CPU fan. Once it was all hooked up correctly, it was great, very quite, almost no sound what so ever. But since this morning, I'll be doing my regular stuff( school, internet games) and the fan just starts to rev up and get really loud. first time it happened, I had to shut down my computer for a while, to let is cool down. Then I turn it back on, and it was fine. until ten minutes later it reved up again, for about ten minutes. then went back down. Why is it doing this, and how do I fix it? I know I have enough thermal paste, the fan is on correctly, and the temps are no higher then normal??

Thanks

cwizardtx

Do you happen to have a program that monitors speeds and temps of the fan? Something must be telling it to spin up, it's not uncommon for them to have variable speeds.

Life

banned
Do you happen to have a program that monitors speeds and temps of the fan? Something must be telling it to spin up, it's not uncommon for them to have variable speeds.

I have multiple programs that tell me speeds, and temps. And that is why I know that the temps were just the same as when it is quite. yes, my fan has multiple speeds, But it is only supposed to speed up when the temps go up, and they didn't.

Life

banned
Are you plugged in to the CPU fan slot or a SYS Fan slot?

Ok, please let me make sure you all know this. I am not stupid...:) everything is plugged in right, temps aren't changing, CPU loads are normal. But Vista just told me too download Speedfan, so I did. I clicked some random buttons in the program and now it feels like icy air coming out of my case, so I assume this is a good thing?

And Denther, thanks for trying to help:)

The colder the better right?

Last edited:

cwizardtx

Ok, please let me make sure you all know this. I am not stupid...:) everything is plugged in right, temps aren't changing, CPU loads are normal. But Vista just told me too download Speedfan, so I did. I clicked some random buttons in the program and now it feels like icy air coming out of my case, so I assume this is a good thing?

And Denther, thanks for trying to help:)

The colder the better right?

I don't think you're stupid, but I do have to make some assumptions as to the average knowledge level of the users here. I start low and then work my way up. What brand cooler is it? I suppose it could have something wrong with it yea?

I run a Minecraft server too :)

Life

banned
I don't think you're stupid, but I do have to make some assumptions as to the average knowledge level of the users here. I start low and then work my way up. What brand cooler is it? I suppose it could have something wrong with it yea?

I run a Minecraft server too :)
It is a rosewill, It is a good cooler. I know what I'm buying when I buy it, I was just hoping someone had something like this before.
Sweet, wanna get on some time?

Darren

Staff member
Hey it's a simple mistake that can happen to the best of builders.

It's hard to tell but did you say it's fixed now? Your SYS Fan speed should automatically be controlled by the BIOS, not a program. Although programs can do it for you I think.

Life

banned
Hey, sorry I didn't reply yet, somehow missed your guys posts.
I can't control my fan speed in bios, or anywhere for some reason.
This is my CPU: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Pentium...?ie=UTF8&qid=1359123166&sr=8-1&keywords=E2180

My case: http://www.amazon.com/10-Bay-T650-T...qid=1359123243&sr=1-1&keywords=Micro+atx+case

I dunno anymore what Cpu cooler I have, for I was stupid and can't find the box for it... But it's a rosewill and has 3 copper heat pipes, 80mm fan, and cost somewhere like $40. Thanks guys.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Said it was a 80mm fan. Have you got case fans installed? Instal something lke PC Wizard and see what your temps. are.

spirit

Staff member
Said it was a 80mm fan. Have you got case fans installed? Instal something lke PC Wizard and see what your temps. are.

He said it was 40 bucks though and that's the only one there even close to that price.

Without knowing what cooler it is he has it's going to be hard to diagnose his problem. I think it's just a bad fan.

Life

banned

I said before I know what my temps are as I have multiple programs for it... I have one case fan. my temps are very good. My CPU randomly jumps from 7% load, to 84% load, and that is when my fan get loud.

Go to power settings... change plan settings, change advanced power settings, and find Processor Power Management. Make sure that nothing is set to passive.

But if it has just randomly started doing this then its obviously not running like normal other wise it would have always done it.