Problem in installing the Windows 2003 hard disk image

mgoyalcan

I created an image of Windows 2003 hard drive(A) in Acer computer and then installed this image to hard drive(B) in Dell computer. When I boot Dell, it gives me BLUE SCREEN. When I put Dell computer hard drive in Acer Computer, it boots up fine. What can be the problem in booting Dell PC and what is the solution?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
If the install CD is OEM and from an Acer, and you're trying to move that installed OS to a Dell, it will not work. There are security features in place to prevent it. You will need an OEM Dell install CD or a Retail Windows CD in order for it to work.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Actually, I don't think the CD would affect anything. I've done it before without a problem. (used different CD keys though)

I actually think it may have the system properties from the acer on the install image and therefore, won't boot because the system properties are different. (This happened when I built my new system and tried to move my hard drive from a Dimension2100 to my new system. I got the BSOD and had to reformat).

Solution: Do a raw install on the dell. Images with saved properties won't work because (as stated above) the system properties are different.

hNic

it is IMPOSSIBLE to put the image from one computer on an entirely different computer...reagardless of how you try it...CD, hard drive swap or wutever...

you have to install windows from scratch on your Dell