Problem keyboard...

ojfoggin

I have a problem with my keyboard when playing any fps games (getting annoying now as I have about 4 on my PC and its the same on all of them.)

When I walk around using wsad it works fine and I can walk in all 8 directions (diagonally and straight) but when I press shift to run I can run straight in all directions but I can't run diagonally using w+d (all other diagonal directions work apart from this?!?!?)

Anyone got any ideas? My keyboard is a normal microsoft PS2 keyboard and I don't have any trouble with any other button combinations (no matter how many buttons I press at once)

Any clues? I've tried looking for keyboard shortcuts that use [shift][W][D] but haven't found any yet.

Thanks for the replies.

Oliver

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
When I walk around using wsad it works fine and I can walk in all 8 directions (diagonally and straight) but when I press shift to run I can run straight in all directions but I can't run diagonally using w+d (all other diagonal directions work apart from this?!?!?)
- Any game or most games or what? Not a lot of games support the sustained 3-button-combo-dealy there i dont think (DirectInput can handle it but i think gamemakers might not use it as it has the potential to overflow the command buffer real fast).
- Is it SPECIFICALLY SHIFT+A+W ... or can you not do SHIFT+LEFT+UP either? :)

ojfoggin

It's only for [shift][w][d] nothing else.

I tried it in notepad too and I can't type a capital "D" when holding [w] and vioce versa

Its only for those 3 buttons together though.

Everything else works fine?!?!?
:mad:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm wtf.... that's a seriously MESSED one. Have you tried playing around to see which of the buttons is messed up? (i.e., ALT+D+W, SHIFT+A+W, SHIFT+D+S ?)

ojfoggin

hmmmm

[tab] does it too

if I try to press [shift]+[w]+[d] (with shift first then the letters in either order) the third button press isn't recognised.

Same with tab.

Thats a better way to describe whats going on.

All the other buttons [alt][ctrl][caps][etc...] and it works fine

ojfoggin

I've got dx9b (comes with doom3) and its on all the games i've played.

Thief 3
GTA vice city
Far Cry
UT 2003, 2004
Unreal 2
Doom 3

The list goes on

:D

The only person who can get a keyboard virus :)

msn-ing lots of people too and they have no clue.
I'll have to try a different kb and see if that works. It's time for a replacement now anyway. I've done the rest of my pc but not my kb.

Any help is appreciated but I might just give up

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah try the new keyboard (or try that keyboard on another comp) ... that IS messed :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah that would definitely be it... never know... try popping the keys off maybe theres just a bunch of gunk in there :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
If [right shift]+[w]+[d] doesn't work then try [left shift]+[w]+[d]. I have troubles with some keyboards when using QuarkXpress shortcuts, but they work when using the other [shift].