Problem starting up computer....

Mythik

Alright, just recently ordered parts, here's what I got:

Rosewill 500w PSU (Specs: +3.33v/30A, +5v/45A, +12v/26A)
2 gb Corsair XMS Memory (4x512) EDIT: PC3200 (DDR400)
AMD 64 3700+ San Diego Core
Gigabyte X850XT
DFI LanParty UT NF4
Maxtor 300gb SATA HD w/ 16mb Cache...

Here's the problem I have...I put everything together, installed windows fine. When I booted up my computer, it stayed on the black windows loading screen for a few minutes (AKA Really long), then went black, and did nothing....it kept on doing this, until one time it finally loaded up windows, only to have my computer restart a couple minutes later...

Since then, I've tried everything...

I reinstalled windows, same thing. So, I borrowed a copy from a friend, still the same thing.

I ran MemTest 86 for 6 hours, seeing if it was my memory, but it came back with 8 passes and 0 errors.

I put in an IDE HD to see if it was my HD, reinstalled windows on that, but, again...same thing kept on happening.

Checking my CPU temp in the BIOS it's at a pretty cool 38*C...

Here's the kicker, Windows will load up in safe mode, albeit it still takes longer than it should.

Last night, I got it to fully load up windows in regular mode (Only way I could get it before was through safe mode), it still took a really, really long time. What I did prior to it was reseat the gfx card in the other PCIe slot, and put the fan on my PSU on 'High' instead of 'Auto'

I did that, except, it wasn't recognizing either of my Disc Drives (had them in IDE slot 1...) Because of that, I tried to set up the network/internet on it, but had to restart afterwards, and now windows wouldn't boot up again.

which leads me to believe that it is me PSU? I don't really understand how, it meets all of the benchmarks...

it finally Loaded up again, it was on the windows loading screen for a good 10 minutes, then went black...then a blue screen showed up with writing for a split second, then restarted...

What else can I try? What could be wrong? Video card? Mobo?

Last edited:

randruff

Hmmmmm, thats strange. I really am in the dark on this but i do have two suggestions. First, can you try your hardware in your friends computer? (put your RAM in, etc. one peice of hardware at a time) Secondly, and i could be way off, but what comes to mind when i read your thread was either faulty SATA/IDE controllers within the mobo. Maybe it could be a power issue.....hopefully Praetor will post in here and tell you how to check your voltage, etc.

Lax

VIP Member
PSU sounds like it's ok. Next time (if you can get the error) see if it says anything to the effect of IRQ_NOT_EQUAL_TO_OR_LESS_THAN. If it's something like that then it's (from what I've found) a problem with the install. BUT since you said that you tried re-installing it many times that MIGHT rule it out. Next thing it could be would be Mobo (Bad IDE controller or the like) I had that happen to me once but it's pretty rare for a new board to be DOA. have you tried (if you have other parts) combining the HDD and drives with another mobo/CPU to see if it yields the same results. (as like rand suggested)

Mythik

the extent of trying other things was installing windows on an old IDE hd, which yielded the same results.

which begs the question, how plausible is it for my m/b to have bad IDE AND SATA controllers?

randruff

very unlikely but possible nonetheless....it seems like you have covered almost every angle, faulty IDE/SATA controllers sound like the culprit.

Tapir

Replace your bios battery. Your pc seems to be having a problems recognizing hardware. What/or how many partitions do you have on the drive? Also when setting up a rig it is always good to clear bios before powering up the first time.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the kicker, Windows will load up in safe mode, albeit it still takes longer than it should.
Safemode takes longer because of the different way it deals with mup.sys

1. Try different SATA connectors
2. You've not overclocked have you?
3. How stable is your voltage? Are you splitting rails between too many devices?