Problem with a new PC

Discussion in 'Desktop Computers' started by domi79, Jan 10, 2017.

1. domi79

domi79 New Member

So I've had a piece of junk for many years and I enjoy gaming so that was a huge problem for me. Anyway I finally bought a new one and it's running the same, if not worse, than the old one. My new specs: Intel i5 2400 3.1GHz 4-core, Radeon HD5450 512mb and 8GB RAM. My old specs: Pentium Dual CPU E2200 2.2GHz, GeForce 8400GS and 2GB RAM. So I played Mass Effect 2 on the old one and of course on 800x600 resolution and low settings and now it's the same thing. If anyone knows what could be a problem if there is one, I would be most grateful.

2. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

The 5450 isn't really a gaming card, although you should get similar framerates to this:

Do you simply get low FPS or is it completely unplayable? Also, the i5 2400 is pretty old at this point. Did you buy it from a person or a business? Can you validate how hot the CPU and GPU are under stress?

3. domi79

domi79 New Member

I know but it's still better than 8400GS

4. mistersprinkles

mistersprinkles Active Member

still comparing garbage to garbage. Those cards were both garbage when they came out and today they are hazardous waste level garbage. Pick up a GTX 1050Ti for $150.

Calin likes this.
  5. beers

What specific performance metrics are you getting out of it? Saying that it sucks doesn't really provide any objective information.

6. domi79

domi79 New Member

Not sure if this is what you're asking for

Also, FPS doesn't go above 20 on low

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  7. mistersprinkles

Actually, it provides a lot of information. In fact, I think instead of Celeron, Pentium, i3, i5, i7, Intel should move to a system that speaks more directly to Joe Publick.

Celeron- Blows or "B" series
    Pentium- Sucks or "S" series
    i3- Meh or "M" series
    i5- Decent or "D" series
    i7- Great or "G" series

8. beers

By that standard his system should be decent, however it isn't performing that way, and that's a bit of an off topic reply.

'Performing lower than it should' given a specific build list which he already has requires additional information.

9. mistersprinkles

I was being sarcastic

10. ramirez

ramirez Member

Looking at your new system I would say your GPU is still your bottleneck, 5450 is still pretty much a budget gaming card and with only 512mb memory....not going to really do any serious gaming with that card. That processor is only able to support RAM speeds from 1066/1333mhz, your system is decent but nothing exceptional for a gaming rig.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017