problem with file recovery from a dead computer

leafs911

hi
i my computer died recently...it was not caused by any of the hard drives...long story short my hard drives are in good shape with lots of data on it which i can not afford to lose.

so i took them out and attached i attached one of them into my other computer....but i cant read\see whats on it....because its asking me to formate it (which i dont want to do) when ever i try to access it through "my computer".

my question is: is there any way i can access the data on the hard drives?

sync

What is the operating system that you have on your old computer and your new computer? win xp, win 98? etc. Some more information would help.

JTM

You can try data recovery software.
http://datarecoverydownload.blogspot.com/
Good luck.

I would recommend getting an HDD enclosure. They usually come with both Sata and IDE connections. Once you put it in the case, boot up another pc, connect power and USB, and your files should show up under my computer.
The reason it probably isn't booting up in the old PC is probably because of the abrupt hardware configuration change (i.e. switching the HDD into another pc). Good luck and let us know if you need more assistants.

HDRecovery

Hello,

It sounds like a typical corruption of the partition. You can purchas data recovery software such as R-studio or other software applications that can restore a damaged partition. If this does not work for you should contact a data recovery company in your area.

Note: this only applies if there is no physical damage to the drive. Otherwise such recovery applications can cause further damage to your hard drive.

Best regards,

Andrew
Data Analyzers
http://www.datanalyzers.com

The information provided is not a substitute for legal and other
professional advice where the facts and circumstances warrant.

fmw

Let's be sure you are doing this right. In order to rectrieve your data you need to add the old drive to the new computer - not replace the one that is there. You need to boot the computer on the drive it has now - drive C. Then you can go to the old drive and retrieve your stuff. If you are trying to boot from the drive in the broken computer, then that is your problem.

lawson_jl

hi
i my computer died recently...it was not caused by any of the hard drives...long story short my hard drives are in good shape with lots of data on it which i can not afford to lose.

so i took them out and attached i attached one of them into my other computer....but i cant read\see whats on it....because its asking me to formate it (which i dont want to do) when ever i try to access it through "my computer".

my question is: is there any way i can access the data on the hard drives?

Obviously they aren't in good shap or you would have this problem. I recommend a program called Smart Recovery that's pretty good at recovering files ever with a bad MTF.