Problem with memory modules

cakmow

New Member
Hi,
I have a problem with my computer. It doesn't open. I went to see in the manual guide the problem and it says that no memory modules has been detected. But, I haven't open the box of my desktop since I have it so what's the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks for your answers.
 
What kind of computer do you have and what is it doing exactly when you turn it on? Is it beeping when you pressing the power button?
 
yeah, exactly. It's beeping like 5 times and then, nothing. I have a Dell dimension 5150. I tried to take off the memory modules and put them back but it does nothing
 
If you remove the memory, clean the contacts and reinsert it, it should work. Or you have bad memory, try replacing it.
 
You would be surprised at what computers will do to you. Actually your symptom happens a lot, vibration would cause most of it.
 
so if i cleaned it and nothing changed, it means i got to change the memory modules? Others suggestions?
 
If you change the memory and it still does it then try resetting the cmos by unplugging power from the PSU, remove the cmos battery, press the power button on the case a few times. Then wait a minute and then put battery back in and reconnect power to psu and try to bootup.
 
Have you tried removing a stick of RAM - and trying it with just one instead of two. I had a Dell where the stick of RAM went out a few years ago - and it sent my PC into PC Havoc. Nothing was running right. I was able to test it with one stick of RAM - and figured one of them went out on me throught he process of elimination. You need to figure out where to put the stick of RAM for single channel use.

Got a new stick of RAM from Dell's support sent out - and the problem was fixed.
 
So how do I find the right place for a single channel use? And Johnb35, what's the cmos and where is the cmos battery? And, what the PSU?

Thanks
 
Ok john, i understand what's the psu and where is the cmos battery but i want to know, when i'm pressing few times on the power button, the computer is plugged? If not, what does pressing the button do it's there's no electricity?

Thanks
 
Ok john, i understand what's the psu and where is the cmos battery but i want to know, when i'm pressing few times on the power button, the computer is plugged? If not, what does pressing the button do it's there's no electricity?

Thanks

It removes any charge of electricity that may hold onto the BIOS settings although the battery has been removed.
 
Well, I tried to remove the battery and pressing the power button but it hasn't change anything...what else can I do?
 
Did you unplug the power cord from the power supply while removing the battery and pressing the power button? If you didn't the board will still have power.
 
Dude, thanks a lot. I tried another time but after pressing the button few times (like 10 times more) I waited 5 minutes before putting back the battery and plugging the PSU and it worked!! Wow, I'm so happy. But I have another problem (with my laptop). Don't know if you will be able to help me but here's the problem. Few weeks ago, I decided to format my laptop (toshiba) because sometimes, while I were working on it, a blue screen (with a lot of infos I can't tell you because I'm not a pro with computers) appeared and the laptop shutted down. It did that few times, like once a week. I thought it was a virus so that's why I format my laptop. But now, it does it more often (at least 2 times a day). What's the problem and what can I do?
 
With a laptop, its more of a heat issue if its shutting down all the time. You might want to get a can of compressed air and blow it insided the vents on the laptop , with the power off of course.
 
Back
Top