Problem with Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard

Ma-dazz

I am in the process of cleaning a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard, and I try to open it so I can remove the rubber padding and plastic case that holds it in place so I can clean them. I managed to mostly open it, but it is very resistant to opening at the position of the wrist rest, as shown in the red box I drew in the picture attached.

This is basically my first time doing this, so, for fear of breaking anything, I didn't proceed to force it open. Should I?

Attachments

• keyboard prob1.jpg
    keyboard prob1.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 4

Darren

Staff member
I had a Sidewinder X4 for many years, judging by the look of the X6 they're pretty similar. I cleaned mine a few times. Didn't take apart the keyboard really at all, just removed every single key with a flat head screwdriver. That should be all you really need to do. I just soaked them in soapy water, rinse them well, cleaned the board underneath with isopropyl alcohol, and let it all dry before reassembling. Assuming it's a rubber dome keyboard like the X4, the keys can be fully submerged in soapy water no problem. As long as you dry it sufficiently the isopropyl alcohol won't hurt it either, although I'd suggest diluting it if you're using 90 percent as that can dissolve paint on the keycaps.

https://inspirefellows.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/sidewinder-x4-cleaning/

Ma-dazz

I had a Sidewinder X4 for many years, judging by the look of the X6 they're pretty similar. I cleaned mine a few times. Didn't take apart the keyboard really at all, just removed every single key with a flat head screwdriver. That should be all you really need to do. I just soaked them in soapy water, rinse them well, cleaned the board underneath with isopropyl alcohol, and let it all dry before reassembling. Assuming it's a rubber dome keyboard like the X4, the keys can be fully submerged in soapy water no problem. As long as you dry it sufficiently the isopropyl alcohol won't hurt it either, although I'd suggest diluting it if you're using 90 percent as that can dissolve paint on the keycaps.

https://inspirefellows.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/sidewinder-x4-cleaning/

I didn't bother to open it in the end, but turns out I didn't need to. Just detached all keys, cleaned each one individually with a cloth wetted with a surface cleaning solution and thoroughly cleaned the rest with another one wetted with the same solution and a brush to scrape out crumbs and stuff that were underneath the keys. Works like a charm, couldn't really have done it any better to be honest.

PS. the reason I cleaned each key individually and not putting them in a bucket of water was because I was afraid of water sticking in any small holes the keys had.

PS2. I'm 100% sure X4 keyboards can be opened, I saw a YouTube vid where a guy disassembled it.