Problem with my 1900 XTX?

aqua marine

I play counterstrike source. I don't know if it's source/valve or if it's my vid card or my system.

I haven't changed anything. I used to get 140+ fps on average. Now I get somewhere between 80-100 (which is fine), but after playing for a couple of hours I only get around 40-60 fps. If I exit our and run 3DMark06 I get the same score so I don't think it's overheating. If I stop playing for awhile and start source back up I still get 40-60 fps. Now if I completely reboot and fire up source again I get 80-100 again and it will work fine for a couple of hours then back down to 40-60.

So is it my video card? My RAM? or is it source/valve/steam? I've also reformatted and that didn't help.

my specs:
x2-4400, 1gb corsair xms, 74gb raptor, x1900 xtx, 520w ocz modstream

Filip

Does this happen when you play on the same server (level) for a while or when you change many servers? I can notice a slowdown myself when changing many servers.

Also, how crowded are the servers, I usually get a shitty framerate when playing on 50+ players server.

aqua marine

it doesn't matter. Same servers, different servers, 10 man, 20 man. It always starts out good then after awhile it craps down to 40-60 fps.

Filip

aqua marine said:
it doesn't matter. Same servers, different servers, 10 man, 20 man. It always starts out good then after awhile it craps down to 40-60 fps.

Eh, I'm not really sure what can cause the problem, are you ALT+TAB-ing alot, difficult to say.

mgoldb2

VIP Member

Reboot computer then press alt-ctrl-del go to performance tab and tell me PF Usage. Then play until it slows down the exit game and tell me what the PF usage is then.

I checking if there a memory leak or something eating all the ram up after the computer been on for awhile that causing the slow down. Ram reset after reboots so it would explain why resetting fixes problem and then it comes back around the same time period each time.

aqua marine

mgoldb2 said:
Reboot computer then press alt-ctrl-del go to performance tab and tell me PF Usage. Then play until it slows down the exit game and tell me what the PF usage is then.

I checking if there a memory leak or something eating all the ram up after the computer been on for awhile that causing the slow down. Ram reset after reboots so it would explain why resetting fixes problem and then it comes back around the same time period each time.

Ok, I'm finishing up another reformat. Only programs in stalled are windows xp sp1, norton internet security, steam and hl2/cssource. I'll post pf usuage when done. thanks

aqua marine

Ok did get rid of Norton .. didn't make a difference. Now only thing installed is XP SP1, steam, hl2/cssource and my mouse drivers. Tried both Catalyst 6.3 and 6.5.

When I play Source PF usage is around 230-245. When I exit out of steam it drops to 175. If I fire up steam again and play source I still only get 40-60 fps compared to 120-160 fps.

After rebooting PF usage is 175-178, and when I fire steam back up and play source I'm back up to 120-160 fps. PF usage is still around 235-240 while steam is running.

Last edited:

aqua marine

I think it stupid valve/steam. Cause I can run 3DMark06 and get the same score after my fps drops to 40-60. 3DMark06 still scores 5700+

Dialamo

Half Life 2 also runs on the source engine, so the same commands like net_graph 3 would work. Try it! :)

aqua marine

eh ... I'll write it off as steam being the problem. They are always updating steam & source. I never used to have this problem ... just started recently. They've had two updates ... even cfg files are all messed up.

Thanks guys.

aqua marine

I got a question ... why is my 3DMark06 score higher when setting my memory back to 2T?

when set to 1T score is 5774
when set to 2T score is 5781

Should I set it to 1T or 2T? There really a big difference between the two?

aqua marine

Is memory leak a RAM problem? A mobo problem? or what?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Heya

One thing I would consider is the issues some games or Windows itself can have with the X2 Processor. Try installing SP2 along with the patch from Microsoft and AMD. Under SP1, the processor does not function as it should and its performance is questionable. Slowdowns in games are one of the symptoms.

JAN :D

aqua marine

Damn my PF usuage is higher now that I've put SP2 on. PF usuage idles at 276MB.

Also, nobody answered this ... How do you solve a "memory leak" problem? Is it bad ram? Bad mobo? or what?

BTW, put the hotfix from Microsoft on and it didn't help. FPS still drop down to 40-60 after a couple of hours, have to reboot to get them back up :(

Very frustrating!!!!