Problem with network adapter...

TOMH1969

I've been having a problem with my network adapter, I keep having to switch between my LAN line and my wireless. I've unplugged the LAN line and plugged into a different computer when I lose signal and it works fine on the other computer, and I've plugged the seperate LAN line(one that is currently verified working in a separate computer) into the faulty computer and it still does not work. There is no time frame with which the faulty computer will need to be swapped from LAN to wireless, it is sporadic.

Aside from it being a nuisance to switch occasionally the wireless hookup really slows down my computer as there are a number of folks using the same wireless.

The network card has been changed, and not that it could still be that it is bad, but was wondering if there is anything withing the programming of windows, or some other software that might contribute to this issue. Thanks for any information you could provide, anyone.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either wrong driver installed or possibly when the adapter itself gets hot, it loses connectivitiy. I had a nonwireless bluray player that did this. Would be watching something on netflix for a while and it would just stop playing. Checked diagnostics and the adapter wasn't getting internet. Let the player cool down and sure enough, its starts working again. Dealt with this for a few weeks and decided to get a new one that had wireless was well. What network card and operating system are you running?

TOMH1969

We are running Windows 7, Realtek PCIe GBE family controller for a network card.

So is it possible that the network card, and wireless adapter both get hot, and that is why we have to constantly switch between the two?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It's a possibility. You can try getting an ethernet card and install it to test.

Darren

Staff member
I'd be surprised if heat was your issue, particularly for the wired internet.

You done a clean driver install for the network card?

beers

Staff member
What new card did you get? I assume it's exhibiting the same issues?

What speed does your NIC negotiate at?