problem with new dvd burner

darkserpant

I just bought a new dvd burner and installed with no problem. But I'm trying to burn a movie which I downloaded and is in a mpg file format. I am using nero 6 ultra edition. I am having no luck. Do I have to change the file format mpg for the movie to be placed on a nlank dvd for my home dvd player can read it? And yes my home dvd player does play dvd-r and rw's. Could somebody give me a detaiiled step by step instructions on how to do this. Thank you very much.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have to encode and then author the movie to burn it as DVDVIdeo (its not as easy as they make it to be, and neither should it). The basic generic process is:
1. Pass the MPG through an encoder, something like TMPGEnc and you'll get your elementary streams M2V and MP2/WAV

2. Pass the elementary streams through something like DVDLab and you'll get the VOB/IFO files

3. Burn the IFO/VOBs

you can use all-in-one proggies like Nero's Recode/Vision express but they are crud for quality.

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
you'll get your elementary streams M2V and MP2/WAV

But if TMPGEnc outputs to MPG by default, what is the advantage of getting the elementary streams as opposed to allowing it to remain as MPG and making it DVD-compliant?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Cuz some author programs dont like dealing with MPG and you can get a bit more control with them separately :)

ecomp401

I think that nero 6 Ultra should have a feture to convert, just like cd burners can auto convert to .WAV, anyways if you cant find it try using a DVD Creator program, i dont know one off the top of my head, but i would recomend you read the magazine Maximum PC, try www.maximumpc.com and look through the software reviews...