Problem with new graphic card and 4k monitor

amisu

Hi,

I have a Lenovo Thinkcentre M72, and have been using it with two monitors, Cintiq companion 2 (2560x1440) and HP 2159m (1920x1080) using the onboard graphic card (4600 hd).

I replaced the hp with an Acer 4k monitor, so I also added a GTX 1050 2GB lowprofile graphic card.

Everything works fine, except that occasionally the Acer 4k monitor's screen completely goes black (like it is turned off) for one second.

I changed the cables (hdmi and dp) which did not help, but changing the power cord helped a lot! but still it happens sometimes.

My pc has a 280W psu. Is this because of the power supply, or something else? I should add that the other screen (Wacom tablet) works fine when the black out happens to the 4k monitor.

Thanks for your help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You probably need to get a new psu. 280 watts if that's the true power output is kinda low for a dedicated card. You should get at least a 500 watt just for upgradeability later.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not necessarily. What is the exact model number of the psu? You should have about 320 watts for your system and the 1050. But most OEM psu's only output about 75 percent of the total wattage if that.

amisu

I do not know the psu model, it is a generic one installed by Lenovo. When I opened the case to install gpu, I checked it and it is a 280W psu.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I checked it and it is a 280W psu.
As I said before, that don't mean nothing. Wattage output is most likely a lot lower then 280 watts. Probably close to 200. If you can give me the exact model number I can check actual output. There should be a sticker with a model number listed somewhere on that psu.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So its a dual rail psu, so the 270 actual wattage is split between the 2. You could be under powering your system causing the second monitor to black out now and then. Without trying a different card or psu, its hard to tell what exactly is going on. Are you using the latest drivers for the 1050?

amisu

John, thanks for the reply. I used the CD that came with the gpu and it connected to the internet during installation, so I think it should be latest driver. A few hours ago I had a different problem, that the 4k monitor was working at a lower resolution, and there was no option for the 3840x2160, so I uninstalled the Geforce driver, used CD to install it again, and now the monitor is working at 4k. Also earlier today I ordered a 600W EVGA Bronze psu, so hopefully it helps.

amisu

Thanks for the link. Just installed the driver but still have the same problem. Hopefully new psu will help, otherwise I should return the gpu, right?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So the everything was ok with the driver from cd but when installing the latest its not 4k? Could be either video card or psu at this point. @Intel_man Ideas?

amisu

The problem with lower resolution and 4k not being available as a setting was with the initial driver installed from CD. I reinstalled driver using CD and 4k option was back. I installed driver again using the link that you mentioned, but still have the problem with the black out screen. Most of the times with the 4k monitor, sometimes both at the same time. It happens every few minutes.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
ok. Could be anything to card, driver, not enough power to card. Thats why I said you would need other parts to determine what the issue actually is.

amisu

I am using the cables that came with the Acer 4k monitor, one hdmi and one DP, and this happens with both cables. I am not sure if they are 2.0 and 1.2, but since thy came with the monitor, they should be ok, I guess.

Also while I am not 100% sure, but it looks when my apartment is warmer (afternoon or when ac was off) this black out gets worse, and recently happens on the other monitor too. The last time this happened, a few white lines appeared on the other screen, and on the 4k one everything was jagged/fuzzy. After turning ac on, no problems so far.

Edit: now I am almost sure this problem is related to the room temperature. Does psu performance depend on temperature?
Also with the onboard gpu and qhd + hd monitors, I never had this problem before.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the video card is getting hot it could cause issues like that. Does the card have a cooling fan that spins?

amisu

Yes, the fan spins, and since it is a low profile gpu, it has only one kinda small fan (Gigabyte Geforce gtx 1050 oc low profile 2gb)