Problem with the mobo?

For the past couple of weeks my computer has been crashing a lot. It would freeze and Id have to restart, but it seemed like it was just the computer overheating. If i booted up right after a crash it would first take a few minutes in the boot process, and would get stuck on the vista loading screen. If I'd just turn off my computer and leave it alone for a while it would boot up no problem but would still crash after a couple hours of being on.
Then a couple days ago I formatted my hard drive to see if cleaning that up would help the situation. I got it formatted and vista was reinstalled but when it restarted to install the updates i got a blue error screen during the vista loading page. It does this every time i try to boot in a normal mode. (i can boot in safe mode but i cant finish installing the updates in safe mode so then im prompted to restart in normal mode which just yields the blue screen again. After seeing this happen Im beginning to wonder if it could be a problem with the motherboard? i dunno
Its a bit of a conundrum and sorry if im posting in the wrong section. these are my system specs:

Cpu: Intel Q6600 @ 2.4ghz
Mobo: EVGA nForce 680i LT SLI
RAM: 4gbs Patriot DDR2
Video card: XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog edition
PSU: Apevia 750W Warlock

Dystopia

Can you check your PSU? That could be the issue with the crashing. As for the blue screen, do you know what (if) it says anything?

it says a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your system then it lists a few steps to take if that message appears a few times and it says you is like contact service provider for bios updates and make sure there is adequate memory. My harddrive is wiped clean and back to 320gb of free space and then it does a data dump on the error screen and restarts

Dystopia

Can you try a different motherboard? It could also be defective RAM, so try using just one stick at a time. And possibly you CPU is over heating.