Problems restting laptop back to factory

Nikez1919

Hey, i tried to reset my laptop to factory settings and during the reset my laptop died. It was plugged in but the plug was broken so it wasnt actually charging. So when i boot it up i get this message:

An operating system wasnt found. Try disconnecting any drives that dont contain an oprrating system. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart

I do not own a cd copy of windows. Please help i have no idea what to do.

Is there any way i can somehow resume the process of factory resetting ?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you turn it on, do you get any options for a system recovery? Most laptops include a recovery partition to reinstall the OS. What exact laptop do you have?

Nikez1919

Dont get any options. Its asus k52n.

It was stuck at like 11% on factory reset and then it turned off

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Press the F9 key at bootup to access recovery partition. You will need to make sure it stays powered on.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Per the manual, thats what you do. You may have to go into the bios and disable quick boot. If you can't access it then something may have happened to it. You would have to contact asus for recovery media. Hopefully your hard drive hasn't crashed when power was cut.

Nikez1919

I had windows 10 on the laptop and now creating windows 10 media onto my usb from my pc with windows 10. Should i be able to then get into the recovery partition?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not with using the windows 10 media no. It's a hidden partition. Providing the hdd is good you can reinstall 10 using the media you created. You will most likely need to install a few drivers though.

Nikez1919

When i go into bios in the boot selection menu i see my usb then press enter on it and a blue screen flashes. Still in bios nothing happens.... When i disable the other boot options and leave only usb it puts me back into bios. Please help i really have no idea what to do :(

Last edited:

_Pete_

What you are trying to do is fairly complicated and even more complicated to try to explain over the internet. You will need to turn off secure boot in your bios and then set the USB as the first boot device. Then whilst the computer starts to boot tap the F11 key. that should bring up a list of boot options one of which should be your USB drive. There may be two options referring to your USB drive choose the second option although if that doesn't work try the other. Your computer should then boot from the USB and start the installation process. Be aware that if this works ( this is the way it works on both my computers) it will wipe all your personal files and programs and only put a fresh install of the operating system, Windows 10, on and you must have had Windows 10 on in the first place for this to work. You may have noticed, assuming you did have Windows 10 installed, that you have no product number to activate. Your Windows 10 product number is stored in your bios (UEFI) these days and will activate automatically once the Windows 10 installation completes.